From: Darren on
Anyone know which drivers you need to download for Laptops?

The mobility driver on the web site does not have the X1600 listed (older
pre X1000 cards only) and the standard drivers will not recognise the card
when you attempt to load them?

PCI-Ex X1600 512MB (256MB shared)

Acer 8204 laptop

Dazzer

From: vellu on
I found new drivers for my laptop ASUS A6Ja which has exactly the same
graphics chip from Asus website directly, under downloads for this
particular laptop model. Try Acer website for updated drivers.

Odd that Ati doesn't release generic mobility drivers for X1000 series
(yet), but instead manufacturer branded drivers.

I did try Omega drivers and they did seem to work otherwise, but the
TV-out (s-video) stopped working properly. That could actually be
related to why generic drivers don't work; different laptop
manufacturers have slightly different output electronics. My Asus has
three video outputs: RGB, DVI and S-video. How about your Acer?

Ps. Impressive gfx performance for a laptop imo. Has almost double the
speed on certain benchmarks when compared with my desktop PC which has
6600GT. Though the Centrino Duo on the laptop propably plays a big part
on that.

From: DDC on

Can you guve us a bench result with 3dmark05???

From: vellu on
THE LAPTOP:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
Mobo Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
CPU Intel Core 2x1667 MHz
FSB 668 MHz
Memory 1024 MB

Display Information
Graphics Chipset ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1600
Driver Version 6.14.10.6575
Driver Status WHQL - FM Approved

Benchmark Settings
Program Version 3DMark05 Revision 2 Build 0
Resolution 1024x768(a)32 bit
Anti-Aliasing None

Main Test Results
3DMark Score 3501 3DMarks
CPU Score 4576 CPUMarks

THE PC:
General Information
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
Mobo Manufacturer MSI
CPU AMD Athlon(tm) XP/MP/4 2000 MHz
FSB 133 MHz
Memory 1024 MB

Display Information
Graphics Chipset NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT
Driver Version 8.1.9.8
Driver Status WHQL - FM Approved

Benchmark Settings
Program Version 3DMark05 Revision 2 Build 0
Resolution 1024x768(a)32 bit
Anti-Aliasing None

Main Test Results
3DMark Score 2737 3DMarks
CPU Score 1791 CPUMarks

These are from a while back, so I have no idea what increase/decrease
newer drivers might have had. As you can see a very big difference in
CPUMarks (4576 vs 1791) which is to be expected since my 2400+ is
getting a bit old and the mobo only supports DDR266 memory speed. 3DM'06
shows a similar performance difference, just the numbers are smaller.

From: Darren on
THE LAPTOP:

Microsoft Windows XP Pro
Mobo Manufacturer Acer TravelMate 8200 (Intel i945GM/PM)
CPU Intel Core T2500 2x2000 MHz
FSB 668 MHz
Memory 2048 MB

Display Information
Graphics Chipset ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1600 (M56) 512MB
Driver Version 6.14.10.6587/0362/5523 (2D/3D/GL)
Driver Status WHQL - FM Approved

Benchmark Settings
Program Version 3DMark05 Revision 2 Build 0
Resolution 1024x768(a)32 bit
Anti-Aliasing None

Main Test Results
3DMark Score 4163 3DMarks
CPU Score 4805 CPUMarks

(55 other processes working the background which would probably add another
300 points if slimmed down)

Desktop = 5813 3DMarks (AMD64 3500+ & Nvidia 6800GTX 425/1100Mhz)