From: Chuckg on
OK, the system I have is:

Mach Speed Viper MK8-939A motherboard (latest drivers installed, latest
BIOS flashed)

AMD64 X-2 4800+ processor (latest drivers & AMD dual-core optimizer
installed)

Windows XP (32-bit) SP2 (fully updated)

Radeon x1600 Pro (PCI-Express 16x) (Catalyst v6.8 & Control Center
installed)

The Windows install is fresh and new, as is the video card and
motherboard. For the first couple of days, it worked fine, but now
It's picked up an annoying habit. Nothing major, just annoying.

The habit is this: when coming out of a fullscreen 3-D game such as
KOTOR or KOTOR II, it'll go a few seconds and then I'll get a brief
flash of my cursor turning into an hourglass, and then *boom*, the
screen goes black for a second or so.

Even more annoying, it also does this a few seconds into KOTOR II
cutscenes -- I don't mean the camvator ones, I mean the ones where it
cuts to FMV. The disk access and the flicker to black, that is.

Did I tick some setting that wasn't supposed to be ticked, and if so,
can I untick it?

Note: auto-detect hardware is already turned off in Catalyst Control
Center.

--
Chuckg

From: Chuckg on
Figured it out, mostly.

It's the damn overlock settings. The thing keeps turning them off
whenever I leave fullscreen 3D mode, even for a moment or a cutscene,
with the accompanying flicker.

I verified this by yanking Catalyst Control Center and instaling ATI
Tray Tools with overclocking disabled. It worked, but now I have
minor annoyances re: my fullscreen profile and gamma correction.
Here's hoping when I reinstall Control Center, it remembers to keep
overclocking off. Otherwise, how do you disable ATI overclocking?

--
Chuckg

From: Chuckg on
Chuckg wrote:
> Figured it out, mostly.
>
> It's the damn overlock settings. The thing keeps turning them off
> whenever I leave fullscreen 3D mode, even for a moment or a cutscene,
> with the accompanying flicker.

.... and now the flicker is back, dammit, even with the overclocking
disabled.

It's like clockwork -- 2-3 seconds after returning to desktop or
windowed mode from fullscreen mode, *BAM*, temporary blackout.

It's *really* annoying. Does anybody know HTF to fix this?

--
Chuckg

From: First of One on
Does this flicker afflict both D3D and OpenGL applications, or just D3D.

And are you running different gamma or color-vibrance settings for desktop
and full-screen 3D?

From: Chuckg on
First of One wrote:
> Does this flicker afflict both D3D and OpenGL applications, or just D3D.

It does it both for Doom 3 in fullscreen mode and KOTOR II, so yes.

> And are you running different gamma or color-vibrance settings for desktop
> and full-screen 3D?

The gamma settings between fullscreen 3D and desktop are different.

Re: D3D, I have DirectX 9.0c installed, it came with the original XP
SP2 install.

--
Chuckg