From: jon.sunflower on
I've got a spare Radeon 9650 which I pulled out of a Mac G5.

I was hoping to use it in the 8x AGP slot of a Wintel machine I've just
bought, in order to be able to connect it up to my Apple 30" cinema
display via a KVM switch. However I called ATI and they said it won't
work as it's a mac product, but it's listed on their XP driver download
page so I'm tempted to try it...

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=22492

Anyone know if I'm going to blow up PC or graphics card by trying this
combo? Anyone heard of such a card working in a Windows machine?

TIA - Jon

From: First of One on
Two possible scenarios:

1) It works fine using the Windows drivers.
2) It doesn't display a picture, due to the Mac Edition card's different
BIOS.

In any case, you won't damage the card or your motherboard by trying.

If (2) occurs, you may be able find a hacked BIOS to run the card on the PC.

From: jon.sunflower on
Thanks for the advice - will try it this morning. J

From: Clas Mehus on
On 20 Sep 2006 12:33:05 -0700, jon.sunflower(a)gmail.com wrote:

>I've got a spare Radeon 9650 which I pulled out of a Mac G5.
>
>I was hoping to use it in the 8x AGP slot of a Wintel machine I've just
>bought, in order to be able to connect it up to my Apple 30" cinema
>display via a KVM switch. However I called ATI and they said it won't
>work as it's a mac product, but it's listed on their XP driver download
>page so I'm tempted to try it...
>
>http://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=22492
>
>Anyone know if I'm going to blow up PC or graphics card by trying this
>combo? Anyone heard of such a card working in a Windows machine?

I belive the only difference is the firmware on the board. It could be
that you could use a firmware a 9650 from a PC. The 9650 ain't that
common. Havn't checked, but I think it's preatty much a Radeon 9600
with dual DVI and support for Dual Link DVI, which it need to have
since it's delivered for the Apple 30".

--
Clas Mehus
- "Den som har flest prylar n?r han d?r vinner..."
From: First of One on
In that case, flashing the card with a PC 9600 BIOS may disable one or both
DVI ports... which is why it's always advisable to have a spare PCI video
card handy when flashing.