From: Adam on
My current setup is as follows ...

Asus A7V133 [rev 1.05. (with dot)] with VIA 4in1 driver v4.43
AMD Athlon XP 1600+
PCI Slot 1: Video - 32MB ATI RAGE Ultra (ATI Rage II+ PCI)
PCI Slot 2: NIC - 3Com 3C905C-TX-M
PCI Slot 3: Sound - Creative Labs SB Live! 5.1
PCI Slot 4: USB Card
PCI Slot 5: -----
Operating System: Windows 98 Second Edition

Doing the following ...
- remove "temporary" PCI video card (from PCI Slot 1)
[The PCI video card filled in for a "dying" AGP video card (from Leadtek).]
- add AGP video card (ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB DDR AGP)
causes the following error (on boot in "Normal" mode) ...

"While initializing device IOS:
ERROR: Real mode system memory allocation failed."

[Note: IOS error occurs only in "Normal" mode using ATI AGP video drivers.
System boots successfully using Standard Display Adapter (VGA).
System boots successfully into "Safe" mode. And,
system boots successfully with "dying" AGP video card.]

I suspect that the drivers that shipped with
the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro is not the right version for
my Win98SE system. Any help would be much appreciated.

From: T Shadow on
"Adam" <adam(a)no_thanks.com> wrote in message
> My current setup is as follows ...
>
> Asus A7V133 [rev 1.05. (with dot)] with VIA 4in1 driver v4.43
> AMD Athlon XP 1600+
> PCI Slot 1: Video - 32MB ATI RAGE Ultra (ATI Rage II+ PCI)
> PCI Slot 2: NIC - 3Com 3C905C-TX-M
> PCI Slot 3: Sound - Creative Labs SB Live! 5.1
> PCI Slot 4: USB Card
> PCI Slot 5: -----
> Operating System: Windows 98 Second Edition
>

> Doing the following ...
> - remove "temporary" PCI video card (from PCI Slot 1)
> [The PCI video card filled in for a "dying" AGP video card (from
Leadtek).]
> - add AGP video card (ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB DDR AGP)
> causes the following error (on boot in "Normal" mode) ...
>
> "While initializing device IOS:
> ERROR: Real mode system memory allocation failed."
>
> [Note: IOS error occurs only in "Normal" mode using ATI AGP video
drivers.
> System boots successfully using Standard Display Adapter
(VGA).
> System boots successfully into "Safe" mode. And,
> system boots successfully with "dying" AGP video card.]
>
> I suspect that the drivers that shipped with
> the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro is not the right version for
> my Win98SE system. Any help would be much appreciated.

You can get the last driver for W98+Radeon here(Feb 06).
http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

Google is your friend. When you get an error, google for it.
http://forums.winforums.org/showthread.php?t=3073

VIA, should have known.

From: Adam on

"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message news:el36fj$bbv$1(a)aioe.org...
> Adam wrote:
> > My current setup is as follows ...
> >
> > Asus A7V133 [rev 1.05. (with dot)] with VIA 4in1 driver v4.43
> > AMD Athlon XP 1600+
> > PCI Slot 1: Video - 32MB ATI RAGE Ultra (ATI Rage II+ PCI)
> > PCI Slot 2: NIC - 3Com 3C905C-TX-M
> > PCI Slot 3: Sound - Creative Labs SB Live! 5.1
> > PCI Slot 4: USB Card
> > PCI Slot 5: -----
> > Operating System: Windows 98 Second Edition
> >

> > Doing the following ...
> > - remove "temporary" PCI video card (from PCI Slot 1)
> > [The PCI video card filled in for a "dying" AGP video card (from
Leadtek).]
> > - add AGP video card (ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB DDR AGP)
> > causes the following error (on boot in "Normal" mode) ...
> >
> > "While initializing device IOS:
> > ERROR: Real mode system memory allocation failed."
> >
> > [Note: IOS error occurs only in "Normal" mode using ATI AGP video
drivers.
> > System boots successfully using Standard Display Adapter
(VGA).
> > System boots successfully into "Safe" mode. And,
> > system boots successfully with "dying" AGP video card.]
> >
> > I suspect that the drivers that shipped with
> > the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro is not the right version for
> > my Win98SE system. Any help would be much appreciated.
> >

> Use your favorite search engine. This is the first page I found,
> that had "While initializing device IOS". Mentions VIA chipset
> and everything.
>
> http://www.cdavis.us/wiki/index.php/While_initializing_device_IOS
>
> Paul

Thanks for the link. I googled for days, tried my best to
get the new ATI video card to work but no luck so ended up here.
The link says to download the latest VIA Hyperion drivers.
Since my system is running Win98SE, shouldn't I use 4in1 driver v4.43?

From: Adam on

> "Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message news:el36fj$bbv$1(a)aioe.org...
> > Adam wrote:
> > > My current setup is as follows ...
> > >
> > > Asus A7V133 [rev 1.05. (with dot)] with VIA 4in1 driver v4.43
> > > AMD Athlon XP 1600+
> > > PCI Slot 1: Video - 32MB ATI RAGE Ultra (ATI Rage II+ PCI)
> > > PCI Slot 2: NIC - 3Com 3C905C-TX-M
> > > PCI Slot 3: Sound - Creative Labs SB Live! 5.1
> > > PCI Slot 4: USB Card
> > > PCI Slot 5: -----
> > > Operating System: Windows 98 Second Edition
> > >

> > > Doing the following ...
> > > - remove "temporary" PCI video card (from PCI Slot 1)
> > > [The PCI video card filled in for a "dying" AGP video card (from
> Leadtek).]
> > > - add AGP video card (ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB DDR AGP)
> > > causes the following error (on boot in "Normal" mode) ...
> > >
> > > "While initializing device IOS:
> > > ERROR: Real mode system memory allocation failed."
> > >
> > > [Note: IOS error occurs only in "Normal" mode using ATI AGP video
> drivers.
> > > System boots successfully using Standard Display Adapter
> (VGA).
> > > System boots successfully into "Safe" mode. And,
> > > system boots successfully with "dying" AGP video card.]
> > >
> > > I suspect that the drivers that shipped with
> > > the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro is not the right version for
> > > my Win98SE system. Any help would be much appreciated.
> > >

> > Use your favorite search engine. This is the first page I found,
> > that had "While initializing device IOS". Mentions VIA chipset
> > and everything.
> >
> > http://www.cdavis.us/wiki/index.php/While_initializing_device_IOS
> >
> > Paul
>

> Thanks for the link. I googled for days, tried my best to
> get the new ATI video card to work but no luck so ended up here.
> The link says to download the latest VIA Hyperion drivers.
> Since my system is running Win98SE, shouldn't I use VIA 4in1 v4.43?

Errr, I mean ... isn't VIA 4in1 v4.43 the best driver for
the Apollo KT133A chipset?

From: JLC on

"Adam" <adam(a)no_thanks.com> wrote in message news:tqhdh.19313>>
>> Thanks for the link. I googled for days, tried my best to
>> get the new ATI video card to work but no luck so ended up here.
>> The link says to download the latest VIA Hyperion drivers.
>> Since my system is running Win98SE, shouldn't I use VIA 4in1 v4.43?
>

> Errr, I mean ... isn't VIA 4in1 v4.43 the best driver for
> the Apollo KT133A chipset?

I might be wrong on this but I think that VIA has just renamed it's 4in1
drivers to "Hyperion"
Why not give them a try. If there not for your board they won't install, so
nothing to worry about.
JLC