From: Riley on
Got upgrade my boys system because his old Radeon 9800 Pro is having
overheating problems I believe (get black screen after 30 minutes of gaming
but gaming continues on) even though the case is well ventilated. The card
even has one of those Arctic Coolers on it. Has that "black out" syndrome I
hear Radeons.

Price is a driver my decision. So I'm looking at the 6800XT, 7600GS, and
X800 Pro. The first two are available at around $110 after current rebates
and discounts. The later takes more time to find. I really don't want to
spend more than $130 after rebates and S/H.

Appreciate your comments on these boards and how they compare when running
at 1024x768x16 or 32 for BF2, SW Empire at War, COD 2, Rome Total War, and
SW Battlefront 2.

BigSky

From: First of One on
"Riley" <smartin60(a)verizon.net> wrote in message
> Got upgrade my boys system because his old Radeon 9800 Pro is having
> overheating problems I believe (get black screen after 30 minutes of
> gaming but gaming continues on) even though the case is well ventilated.
> The card even has one of those Arctic Coolers on it. Has that "black out"
> syndrome I hear Radeons.

This is the stupid way of solving the problem. If the card is overheating,
you improve the cooling rather than replace the card. The cooler may be
ill-suited to the task, or it may be heavily clogged with dust. The silicone
paste supplied by Arctic Cooling can also dry up and crack over time.

> Price is a driver my decision. So I'm looking at the 6800XT, 7600GS, and
> X800 Pro. The first two are available at around $110 after current
> rebates and discounts. The later takes more time to find. I really don't
> want to spend more than $130 after rebates and S/H.

If you are set on upgrading, the X800 Pro offers better performance than the
other two. Feature-wise all three cards are effectively equal (the 6800XT
and 7600GS are too slow to use their Shader Model 3.0 effects in real
games). Looking on Pricegrabber, though, prices for X800 Pro AGP cards start
at $200.

From: Larry Roberts on
On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 01:42:14 -0500, "First of One" <root(a)localhost>
wrote:

>"Riley" <smartin60(a)verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Got upgrade my boys system because his old Radeon 9800 Pro is having
>> overheating problems I believe (get black screen after 30 minutes of
>> gaming but gaming continues on) even though the case is well ventilated.
>> The card even has one of those Arctic Coolers on it. Has that "black out"
>> syndrome I hear Radeons.
>
>This is the stupid way of solving the problem. If the card is overheating,
>you improve the cooling rather than replace the card. The cooler may be
>ill-suited to the task, or it may be heavily clogged with dust. The silicone
>paste supplied by Arctic Cooling can also dry up and crack over time.
>
>> Price is a driver my decision. So I'm looking at the 6800XT, 7600GS, and
>> X800 Pro. The first two are available at around $110 after current
>> rebates and discounts. The later takes more time to find. I really don't
>> want to spend more than $130 after rebates and S/H.
>
>If you are set on upgrading, the X800 Pro offers better performance than the
>other two. Feature-wise all three cards are effectively equal (the 6800XT
>and 7600GS are too slow to use their Shader Model 3.0 effects in real
>games). Looking on Pricegrabber, though, prices for X800 Pro AGP cards start
>at $200.

If he games at 1024x768, or lower, the 7600GS can render SM
3.0 games nicely. For his budget, the 7600GS would be a nice choice. I
feel the 6800XT is just barely better than the 6600GT, while the
7600GS is quite better than the 6600GT.
I see that an X800GTO AGP with 256bit DDR3 at newegg.com cost
$139.99, while a 7600GS AGP with 128bit DDR2 start at $119.99. Some
reviewes claim the X800 GTO can be unlocked to 16 pixelpipes.
From: BigSky on
Well, how to I answer this one. "Stupid" is a rather harsh answer
considering you have no idea what steps I have already taken to address the
overheating issue. First, I have cleaned out the Arctic Cooler and verified
it is sitting snugly against the GPU. Second, I put new Arctic Ceramic
Paste on the GPU about 4 months ago. Third, it is well know across the net
that ATI series 97XX and 98XX cards have overheating problems when running
on motherboards with older VIA chipsets (400 series as I have and earlier).
I have a similar issue with a 9700 Pro running on a KT300 VIA chipset. I
had to use ATI tray tools to set the AGP at 4x and turn off fast writes to
prevent the black screens. I couldn't increase the AGP voltage as suggested
because my motherboards don't support that option. Using older ATI drivers
or Omega drivers adds some stability but invariably the 9800 Pro gets very
hot...at least the memory does even though I have large copper heatsinks on
them. Fourth, I have an 80mm fan blowing over the back half of the card
which pulls in cool air from a perforated vent in the side panel to keep the
memory cool and push cool air to the Arctic Cooler. I also have a 120mm
case fan in the back of the case running at full speed to pull in plenty of
fresh air. Fifth, the CPU pulls in fresh air directly from the side panel
via a vent tube. Sixth, I'm not overclocking this card or the Sempron 3000+
socket A CPU. It seems to survive longer playing with COD 2 but will only
last 30-40 minutes with BF 2.

So, I'm on top of the cooling issue. I think this card is either going bad
OR its just a manifestation of this VIA-ATI-driver issue that is plagueing
these older cards. It almost seems like ATI is trying to get us to upgrade
our cards on purpose.

BigSky

From: BigSky on
UDPATE:

I'm actually using a newer socket 754 motherboard, NFORCE based, with card
now and have the same issues as with the Sempron 3000+ socket A, VIA based,
motherboard. So I definitely think the problem is the card, the drivers,
the game settings, or a combination of these factors.

Sure do miss my stable TI-4200 that is gathering dust but it doesn't support
BF2.

Big Sky