From: First of One on
"BigSky" <bmartin1984(a)verizon.net> wrote in message
> Third, it is well know across the net that ATI series 97XX and 98XX cards
> have overheating problems when running on motherboards with older VIA
> chipsets (400 series as I have and earlier).

Running on certain motherboard chipsets won't cause the card to run hotter.
The 97xx and 98xx cards are not "well-known" to overheat. I had a 9800 Pro
running on an SiS 735 chipset, and later on a VIA KT800 chipset, and never
had overheating problems with either the stock cooler or AC VGA Silencer. In
fact, the card was quite happy when overclocked to 9800XT speeds at stock
voltage.

> I have a similar issue with a 9700 Pro running on a KT300 VIA chipset. I
> had to use ATI tray tools to set the AGP at 4x and turn off fast writes to
> prevent the black screens.

So it actually isn't an overheating issue, despite what you said in the
original post. I had to drop the AGP speed to 4x on my KT800 board, too. At
AGP 8x Battlefield 2 would freeze about about 5 minutes, but it didn't give
a black screen. Since AGP 4x doesn't degrade game performance at all, it
wasn't an issue. This has nothing to do with heat, but ATi and VIA's AGP
implementation. If SmartGART worked as it should, the AGP speed would have
been automatically limited at 4x and you wouldn't see this problem with the
9700 Pro.

> I couldn't increase the AGP voltage as suggested because my motherboards
> don't support that option.

Increasing the AGP voltage usually isn't necessary for stability. The only
time it may be useful is overclocking the motherboard, where the frequency
dividers may not allow the AGP clock to remain at its original value with a
higher FSB clock.

> Using older ATI drivers or Omega drivers adds some stability but
> invariably the 9800 Pro gets very hot...at least the memory does even
> though I have large copper heatsinks on them.

Keep in mind anything over 50C will feel very hot to the touch. So unless
you are measuring the temperature with an instrument, you won't know if the
card is running *excessively* hot. If the heat sinks are getting hot, then
they are doing their job of whisking the heat away from the chip and
exposing it to the airstream.

> So, I'm on top of the cooling issue. I think this card is either going
> bad OR its just a manifestation of this VIA-ATI-driver issue that is
> plagueing these older cards. It almost seems like ATI is trying to get us
> to upgrade our cards on purpose.

Any newer ATi or nVidia card may have the same issue. In fact, some cards
were designed natively for PCIe and have to use a AGP bridge chip, adding
another layer of complexity. Your Ti4200 served you well because it was
limited to AGP 4x by design (fewer things to go wrong...). Hell, the Voodoo5
was once considered the stability king because it used no AGP functions.

From: BigSky on
Well,

Yes and no.

There is a huge amount of stuff on the web about problems with the 9800
series and older VIA chipsets. It does seem that the problem lies in the
VIA GART drivers and Radeon SmartGart somewhere.

Last night I tried backing down to AGP 4x with the new 754 motherboard and
was able to run BF2 at 1024x768 and medium settings without problems for 40
minutes. Then today we loaded up Star Wars BF2 and Rome Total War. We got
about 15-20 minutes into each one and ended up with a black screen and
reboot. Don't know if running the older 5.6 drivrs is the problem, Diamond
xtreme sound card issues, or just an old video card starting to go bad. Its
really frustrating. I'm really tempted to just go for a new video card but
keeping wondering if its just one setting or another that is causing these
problems with newer games.

Any ideas???

BigSky

From: First of One on
Well, if all else fails, upgrade the video card. The 7600GS and X800 Pro /
GTO are fast enough to run BF2 with transparency AA, so you get a meaningful
improvement in image quality. Just be prepared to use some of the tricks as
before (dropping to AGP 4x is almost a given).

From: BigSky on
Looks like BFII crashes after 15 minutes or so causing a reboot on both my
9700Pro (2800+ socket A KT333, onboard sound) and my 9800Pro (Semp 3100+
socket 754 nForce 3, Diamond xTreme 7.1 sound). I turned off fast writes
and set the AGP to 4X. I'll try updating my drivers to the lastest
recommended by ATI and dropping down to 800x600 and turn off any hardware
sound acceleration.

Rome Total War lasted beyond 40 minutes with the 9800Pro and fast writes
turned off but eventually crashed.

Man, stink.

From: Frodo on
Reloading/updating motherboard chipset drivers might help.