From: Jim T. on
I'm shopping for a new computer - looking at bargains.
For years I've had a free subscription to Netzero to use just when the
internet service is down. Now I find that no computers I review come
with modems, nor do there appear to be any add-ons. What are others
doing for this or for fax?
From: J G Miller on
On Tuesday, August 3rd, 2010 at 09:02:20h -0400, Jim T. asked:

> What are others doing for this or for fax?

If you need a data or facsimile modem, then this is what you should
consider using --

<http://www.usr.COM/courier/whybuy.asp>

From: Paul on
Jim T. wrote:
> I'm shopping for a new computer - looking at bargains.
> For years I've had a free subscription to Netzero to use just when the
> internet service is down. Now I find that no computers I review come
> with modems, nor do there appear to be any add-ons. What are others
> doing for this or for fax?

They make USB modems. These have an RJ-11 on one end, and
a short length of USB cord on the other end.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=25-180-014

Always read the review section of advertisements like that, to
see how good the drivers are. Some cheap electronics, have a
CD stuffed in the package, that has hardly anything to do with
the product. So you want some comments that the driver package
was good. If a web site is mentioned, as a source of better
drivers, make sure you have the driver installer file in hand,
before ordering the modem. Finding drivers for modems, isn't
always the easiest thing to do.

Paul
From: GMAN on
In article <i394tl$tr2$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, J G Miller <miller(a)yoyo.ORG> wrote:
>On Tuesday, August 3rd, 2010 at 09:02:20h -0400, Jim T. asked:
>
>> What are others doing for this or for fax?
>
>If you need a data or facsimile modem, then this is what you should
>consider using --
>
> <http://www.usr.COM/courier/whybuy.asp>

Agreed, the courier i have owned since 1996 still works for the occasional fax
and is still covered under warranty.
From: philo on
On 08/03/2010 08:02 AM, Jim T. wrote:
> I'm shopping for a new computer - looking at bargains.
> For years I've had a free subscription to Netzero to use just when the
> internet service is down. Now I find that no computers I review come
> with modems, nor do there appear to be any add-ons.

Moot point\\Netzero has not had free dial-up for several years now

What are others