From: John on
Hi

How can I modify a user defined data type which is assigned to several
fields across db?

Thanks

Regards

From: Tibor Karaszi on
You can't, I'm afraid.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp

From: Kalen Delaney on
Basically, what Tibor said...

The WorkAround is to alter the datatype of all the columns that used the
type you want to change,
then drop the user defined data type, then create recreate it the way you
want, then alter the datatypes of all the columns to the newly recreated
data type.

This article might give you a start on doing all those steps
programmatically, although it is untested (by me) and it's full of spelling
errors.

http://www.sql-server-performance.com/faq/How_to_alter_a%20_UDDT_p1.aspx

--
HTH