From: Nitram on
Hi,

I have a simple matlab question: I have a baseband signal with a 2MHz
bandwidth (wideband), sampled at 100MHz. I would like to use this signal to
modulate a 5Ghz carrier. What is the simplest way to proceed? I was
thinking using the ammod function, but in that case I would need to
resample my signal to a higher sampling rate (which may add some
distortion). Is there a more elegant way to go about it?

Thanks

From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

Nitram wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a simple matlab question: I have a baseband signal with a 2MHz
> bandwidth (wideband), sampled at 100MHz. I would like to use this signal to
> modulate a 5Ghz carrier. What is the simplest way to proceed?

The simplest way to proceed is do everything in the baseband.

Vladimir Vassilevsky
DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
http://www.abvolt.com
From: Nitram on

>The simplest way to proceed is do everything in the baseband.

My aim is to test out a frequency search algorithm where the receiver does
not know the carrier frequency of the transmitted signal. Therefore, I need
to go to RF in order to verify my search algorithm (unless there is a
better way).

Thanks
From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

Nitram wrote:

>>The simplest way to proceed is do everything in the baseband.
>>

> My aim is to test out a frequency search algorithm where the receiver does
> not know the carrier frequency of the transmitted signal.

If your goal is frequency search algorithm, why bother with low level
details in time domain?

Therefore, I need
> to go to RF in order to verify my search algorithm (unless there is a
> better way).

Split your problem into a set of different problems at different scales
and do everything in the baseband.

From: Eric Jacobsen on
On 11/23/2009 8:26 AM, Nitram wrote:
>> The simplest way to proceed is do everything in the baseband.
>>

> My aim is to test out a frequency search algorithm where the receiver does
> not know the carrier frequency of the transmitted signal. Therefore, I need
> to go to RF in order to verify my search algorithm (unless there is a
> better way).
>
> Thanks

Is the algorithm going to be applied at baseband or at RF? If it will
be applied to the baseband signal, why not test it there? Frequency
offset at RF = frequency offset at baseband.

--
Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms