From: Derk on
Hi,

I want to add a Sata HD to my Sata compatible system, but I know little
about hardware. I found out that a free power cable has a Molex power
connector and I found an adapter cable online, that's described as a "5.25"
Molex to Sata adapter cable".

I was wondering about the 5.25" description: the free cable's Molex
connector in my sytem looks much smaller than 5.25". IS it a wrong cable?

TIA!

Derk
From: peter on
How about 5.25" LONG!!
they do come on various lenghts
and yes a Molex to Sata adaptor is what you need
here is a 6" example
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812123119

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

From: Andy on
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 23:06:51 +0100, Derk <nobody(a)invalid.org> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I want to add a Sata HD to my Sata compatible system, but I know little
>about hardware. I found out that a free power cable has a Molex power
>connector and I found an adapter cable online, that's described as a "5.25"
>Molex to Sata adapter cable".
>
>I was wondering about the 5.25" description: the free cable's Molex
>connector in my sytem looks much smaller than 5.25". IS it a wrong cable?

The 5.25" refers to the power connector used by old 5.25" wide drives,
such as CD-ROM, floppy, and hard drives.

From: Derk on
Andy wrote:
> The 5.25" refers to the power connector used by old 5.25" wide drives,
> such as CD-ROM, floppy, and hard drives.
Thanks!

Is there a good website somewhere, where I can learn all about hardware
features: campatibility, standards etc ?

Derk
From: spodosaurus on
Derk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to add a Sata HD to my Sata compatible system, but I know little
> about hardware. I found out that a free power cable has a Molex power
> connector and I found an adapter cable online, that's described as a "5.25"
> Molex to Sata adapter cable".
>
> I was wondering about the 5.25" description: the free cable's Molex
> connector in my sytem looks much smaller than 5.25". IS it a wrong cable?
>
> TIA!
>
> Derk

Post a link to the connector. It's probably a reference to 5.25" drives
which is pretty silly because all older (non-SATA) drives used the same
type of molex connector (except floppies).

Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor and literally save someone's life:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/