From: Michael on
I want to be able to monitor SASL users to get quick notification if something
is out of the ordinary - like a spammer using a compromised account to send
emails.

What tool(s) can be used to achieve this?

Thanks,

Michael

From: Stan Hoeppner on
Michael put forth on 6/24/2010 3:07 AM:
> I want to be able to monitor SASL users to get quick notification if something
> is out of the ordinary - like a spammer using a compromised account to send
> emails.
>
> What tool(s) can be used to achieve this?

Given the nature of your requirement, you're probably not going to find a
Postfix tool or set of tools that will "notify" you when an account has been
hijacked. How would software be able to determine when a user password has
been phished? A very remote possibility would be analyzing user connecting IP
heuristics, but I know of no tool for this. And given the number of roaming
users with laptops and smartphones, this wouldn't really work.

If you are _that_ concerned about spamming from hijacked accounts due to
successful phishing attacks on your user base, what I would recommend is
setting up rate limiting on your submission daemon and signing up for the
feedback loops at the major (free)mailers and ISPs. If brute force attacks
against weak passwords is the problem, there are well documented methods for
dealing with that, such as a fail2ban implementation.

The most extreme measure may be fraught with legal issues or organizational
policy issues. This would be to use a content filter such as Spamassassin on
your outbound mail stream. If you choose to go this route, absolutely _do
not_ tag outbound mail with a spam header and still send it to the recipients.
That can and will get you blacklisted in various quarters of the net.

--
Stan

From: Patrick Ben Koetter on
* Stan Hoeppner <stan(a)hardwarefreak.com>:
> Michael put forth on 6/24/2010 3:07 AM:
> > I want to be able to monitor SASL users to get quick notification if something
> > is out of the ordinary - like a spammer using a compromised account to send
> > emails.
> >
> > What tool(s) can be used to achieve this?
>
> Given the nature of your requirement, you're probably not going to find a
> Postfix tool or set of tools that will "notify" you when an account has been
> hijacked. How would software be able to determine when a user password has

Maybe he will. The OP could install the policyd policy server (v1) and impose
sender restrictions von sasl authenticated senders.

If that is heavyweight, the OP can write a small policy service that tracks
SASL authenticated users, the message volume and trigger an alarm when an
account goes beyond 'normal', where 'normal' is either a global or
user-specific threshold or a value learned by messaging habit observation.

p(a)rick

justified.

saslfinger (debugging SMTP AUTH):

From: Michael on
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 20:41:59 Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Michael put forth on 6/24/2010 3:07 AM:
> > I want to be able to monitor SASL users to get quick notification if
> > something is out of the ordinary - like a spammer using a compromised
> > account to send emails.
> >
> > What tool(s) can be used to achieve this?
>
> Given the nature of your requirement, you're probably not going to find a
> Postfix tool or set of tools that will "notify" you when an account has
> been hijacked. How would software be able to determine when a user
> password has been phished?

What happens in these instances is the spammers start sending *lots* of email,
and it was on this basis I wanted to sound an alarm.

> feedback loops at the major (free)mailers and ISPs. If brute force attacks
> against weak passwords is the problem, there are well documented methods
> for dealing with that, such as a fail2ban implementation.

There is a system already in place to lockout where the password is incorrect.
Unfortunately users are sometimes stupid and through social engineering they
part with the details.

From: Michael on
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 20:48:04 Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
> * Stan Hoeppner <stan(a)hardwarefreak.com>:
> > Michael put forth on 6/24/2010 3:07 AM:
> > > I want to be able to monitor SASL users to get quick notification if
> > > something is out of the ordinary - like a spammer using a compromised
> > > account to send emails.
> > >
> > > What tool(s) can be used to achieve this?
> >
> > Given the nature of your requirement, you're probably not going to find a
> > Postfix tool or set of tools that will "notify" you when an account has
> > been hijacked. How would software be able to determine when a user
> > password has
>
> Maybe he will. The OP could install the policyd policy server (v1) and
> impose sender restrictions von sasl authenticated senders.

I will look into this thanks.

Is there a reason that v1 is better then v2 for this application?