From: AG on
Hi all

I'm facing a bit of a delicate issue: I have created an account on my
machine for someone staying with us, and I have strong suspicions that
he is engaging in on-line behaviour that he is not supposed to be doing.

Can anyone recommend a tool thatb I can install, that can monitor his
on-line activity - specifically sites he visits and how much time he
spends on them? A key logger might also be useful to monitor his
activities.

I'd need something that will mail me reports to my account without these
being transparent to him.

Any suggestions, please?

Many thanks.

AG

You can also use dansguardian or another web content filter.
From: Camaleón on
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 17:53:40 +0100, AG wrote:

> I'm facing a bit of a delicate issue: I have created an account on my
> machine for someone staying with us, and I have strong suspicions that
> he is engaging in on-line behaviour that he is not supposed to be doing.
>
> Can anyone recommend a tool thatb I can install, that can monitor his
> on-line activity - specifically sites he visits and how much time he
> spends on them?

(...)

If he has nothing to hide, all the steps will be tracked by the browser
history and cache files. Also, "/tmp" is a good bucket for holding
"shared secrets" (recent files, etc...).

> A key logger might also be useful to monitor his
> activities.

There is one for 32-bits systems. "Lkl" is in the repos, though I've not
tested.

Mmm, I am thinking about launching a VNC session (remote desktop) so you
can see the user's desktop activities at real time (smiliar to what
remote support operators do with their users/customers).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

>> On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 17:53:40 +0100, AG wrote:

A> I'm facing a bit of a delicate issue: I have created an account on my
A> machine for someone staying with us, and I have strong suspicions that
A> he is engaging in on-line behaviour that he is not supposed to be doing.
A> Can anyone recommend a tool thatb I can install, that can monitor his
A> on-line activity - specifically sites he visits and how much time he
A> spends on them?

>> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 11:05:30 +0000 (UTC), <noelamac(a)gmail.com> said:

C> If he has nothing to hide, all the steps will be tracked by the browser
C> history and cache files. Also, "/tmp" is a good bucket for holding
C> "shared secrets" (recent files, etc...).

The problem is if he does have something to hide that the OP might be
held liable for. AG, if you're worried about browser activity, can you
install squid on your system and change his proxy setting accordingly?
This way he leaves a trace even if he sanitizes his browser cache,
assuming he doesn't have root privileges.

Another possibility - running tcpdump or the moral equivalent and
checking the packet dumps periodically for anything hinky. This way you
catch any bad network activity, not just the browser. Something like
this at boot to avoid filling your entire drive:

k=1
while true; do
out=/some/dir/dump.$k # /some/dir owned by you, mode 700
tcpdump -c 500000 -w $out # season to taste

# check the dump for anything suspicious, remove it if clean
tcpdump -r $out ... some filter here ... || rm $out
k=$((k+1))
done

You might also change the permissions on "ps" so he can't see "tcpdump" or
any other steps you might take.

--
Karl Vogel I don't speak for the USAF or my company
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.

AG wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm facing a bit of a delicate issue: I have created an account on my
> machine for someone staying with us, and I have strong suspicions that
> he is engaging in on-line behaviour that he is not supposed to be doing.
>
> Can anyone recommend a tool thatb I can install, that can monitor his
> on-line activity - specifically sites he visits and how much time he
> spends on them? A key logger might also be useful to monitor his
> activities.
>
> I'd need something that will mail me reports to my account without these
> being transparent to him.
>
> Any suggestions, please?

Unless I am mistaken, the issue got sidetracked to 'whether one ought to
monitor'.
But I have this situation: a person uses this laptop when I am not
around and yesterday the system shutdown twice while this person was
using it. All I see in syslog is:

Jul 29 16:28:26 debian gdm[3069]: WARNING: Failed to start X server
several times in a short time period; disabling display :0
Jul 29 16:28:26 debian /usr/sbin/gpm[2894]: *** info
[daemon/processrequest.c(42)]:
Jul 29 16:28:26 debian /usr/sbin/gpm[2894]: Request on 6 (console 8)
Jul 29 16:28:26 debian /usr/sbin/gpm[2894]: *** info
[daemon/processrequest.c(42)]:
Jul 29 16:28:26 debian /usr/sbin/gpm[2894]: Request on 6 (console 8)
Jul 29 16:30:00 debian Modtemp[2577]: =[getty 0.0]=> Thu Jul 29 16:30:00
2010 T2=C T3=C busy=81% MHz=1.50 (240)
Jul 29 16:31:40 debian acpid: client 9593[0:0] has disconnected
Jul 29 16:31:40 debian shutdown[24154]: shutting down for system halt

This person knows nothing of commands or VT's so it was just internet
browsing activity. I would sure like to know what happened.

Hugo