From: Vahis on
As openSUSE 11.0 is approaching its EOL it makes me dream of longer life
(of the system) once again.
I do like the "don't fix it if it ain't broken" -mantra, in a server in
particular.

The current life span of openSUSE requires upgrading to a new version
too often for a lazy man like myself.

As for HW I have four cores and 8 GB of RAM, can be added to 16.
What if the server would be SLES 11?

My HW is from the summer before last, the SLES kernel (I think 2.6.27)
should pretty much cover it.

SLES 11 should have like 6 years of life left?

It would run as a LAMP server and as a host for XEN guests (I need
desktops)

The guests would be openSUSE versions and the other OS.

So the server beneath "just works" and the desktops on top of it can be
tested, upgraded, and played with.

I'm currently running VMWare guests on openSUSE 11.0 and I'm quite cool
with that.

I have no experience of Xen, but it seems to be the virtualization
method of choice in SLES.
So I guess if it's good for the industry, it's OK for me?

Anybody with experience of the above?

Vahis
--
"Sunrise 7:42am (EET), sunset 5:26pm (EET) at Espoo, FI (9:44 hours daylight)"
http://waxborg.servepics.com
From: Inge Svensson on
2010-02-22 18:28, Vahis skrev:
> As openSUSE 11.0 is approaching its EOL it makes me dream of longer life
> (of the system) once again.
> I do like the "don't fix it if it ain't broken" -mantra, in a server in
> particular.
>
> The current life span of openSUSE requires upgrading to a new version
> too often for a lazy man like myself.
>
> As for HW I have four cores and 8 GB of RAM, can be added to 16.
> What if the server would be SLES 11?
>
> My HW is from the summer before last, the SLES kernel (I think 2.6.27)
> should pretty much cover it.
>
> SLES 11 should have like 6 years of life left?
>
> It would run as a LAMP server and as a host for XEN guests (I need
> desktops)
>
> The guests would be openSUSE versions and the other OS.
>
> So the server beneath "just works" and the desktops on top of it can be
> tested, upgraded, and played with.
>
> I'm currently running VMWare guests on openSUSE 11.0 and I'm quite cool
> with that.
>
> I have no experience of Xen, but it seems to be the virtualization
> method of choice in SLES.
> So I guess if it's good for the industry, it's OK for me?
>
> Anybody with experience of the above?
>
> Vahis
XEN ruined my openSUSE 11.2 install. Couldn't boot and couldn't get out
of that loop.
Inge Svensson
From: Vahis on
On 2010-02-22, Inge Svensson <ingesvensson(a)orion.vokby.se> wrote:
> 2010-02-22 18:28, Vahis skrev:

>> I have no experience of Xen, but it seems to be the virtualization
>> method of choice in SLES.
>> So I guess if it's good for the industry, it's OK for me?
>>

> XEN ruined my openSUSE 11.2 install. Couldn't boot and couldn't get out
> of that loop.
> Inge Svensson

Did you find out what caused it?

Vahis
--
"Sunrise 7:42am (EET), sunset 5:26pm (EET) at Espoo, FI (9:44 hours daylight)"
http://waxborg.servepics.com
Linux 2.6.25.20-0.6-default #1 SMP 2010-01-14 18:58:36 +0100 x86_64
7:55pm up 2 days 12:24, 14 users, load average: 0.30, 0.28, 0.24
From: Inge Svensson on
2010-02-22 18:58, Vahis skrev:
> On 2010-02-22, Inge Svensson <ingesvensson(a)orion.vokby.se> wrote:
>> 2010-02-22 18:28, Vahis skrev:
>
>>> I have no experience of Xen, but it seems to be the virtualization
>>> method of choice in SLES.
>>> So I guess if it's good for the industry, it's OK for me?
>>>

>> XEN ruined my openSUSE 11.2 install. Couldn't boot and couldn't get out
>> of that loop.
>> Inge Svensson
>
> Did you find out what caused it?
>
> Vahis
Unfortunately I didn't write down the message, but it was something with
Mode, perhaps could not find Mode or something. Don't want to try again
:-( It's not the first time I've problem with XEN.
Inge Svensson
From: Inge Svensson on
2010-02-22 18:58, Vahis skrev:
> On 2010-02-22, Inge Svensson <ingesvensson(a)orion.vokby.se> wrote:
>> 2010-02-22 18:28, Vahis skrev:
>
>>> I have no experience of Xen, but it seems to be the virtualization
>>> method of choice in SLES.
>>> So I guess if it's good for the industry, it's OK for me?
>>>

>> XEN ruined my openSUSE 11.2 install. Couldn't boot and couldn't get out
>> of that loop.
>> Inge Svensson
>
> Did you find out what caused it?
>
> Vahis
I did a reboot with restart with XEN - that caused the loop I guess.
Inge Svensson