From: aRKay on
I just ordered a OCZ Technology 4 GB Diesel USB 2.0 FLASH DRIVE

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/flash_drives/ocz_diesel_usb_2_0_fla
sh_drive

for use with my iMac and MacBook Pro both running 10.6.4 and wonder
if I will have to format the drive?
From: D Finnigan on
aRKay wrote:

> for use with my iMac and MacBook Pro both running 10.6.4 and wonder
> if I will have to format the drive?

Almost certainly not, owing to the fact that the majority of USB flash
drives are formatted to be Windows-compatible. Mac OS X has no trouble
reading and writing that format.

However, you may find it advantageous to reformat the volume as HFS+ if you
think that you are going to be using the flash drive exclusively on
Macintosh computers.

--
Mac GUI Vault - A source for retro Apple II and Macintosh
computing.
From: aRKay on
In article <dog_cow-1278607478(a)macgui.com>,
dog_cow(a)macgui.com (D Finnigan) wrote:

> aRKay wrote:
> >
> > for use with my iMac and MacBook Pro both running 10.6.4 and wonder
> > if I will have to format the drive?
> >

> Almost certainly not, owing to the fact that the majority of USB flash
> drives are formatted to be Windows-compatible. Mac OS X has no trouble
> reading and writing that format.
>
> However, you may find it advantageous to reformat the volume as HFS+ if you
> think that you are going to be using the flash drive exclusively on
> Macintosh computers.

It just showed up via UPS and it formatted as MS-DOS (FAT32) and the OS
X Disk Utility says Partition Map Scheme : Master Boot Record.

Since I no longer own a PC and do not have to deal with Windows, I may
reformat it as a Mac drive.
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <arkay-E5E795.18542608072010(a)5ad64b5e.bb.sky.com>,
aRKay <arkay(a)nospam.qsl.net> wrote:

> In article <dog_cow-1278607478(a)macgui.com>,
> dog_cow(a)macgui.com (D Finnigan) wrote:
>
> > aRKay wrote:
> > >
> > > for use with my iMac and MacBook Pro both running 10.6.4 and wonder
> > > if I will have to format the drive?
> > >

> > Almost certainly not, owing to the fact that the majority of USB flash
> > drives are formatted to be Windows-compatible. Mac OS X has no trouble
> > reading and writing that format.
> >
> > However, you may find it advantageous to reformat the volume as HFS+ if you
> > think that you are going to be using the flash drive exclusively on
> > Macintosh computers.
>

> It just showed up via UPS and it formatted as MS-DOS (FAT32) and the OS
> X Disk Utility says Partition Map Scheme : Master Boot Record.
>
> Since I no longer own a PC and do not have to deal with Windows, I may
> reformat it as a Mac drive.

Advisable!

JR
From: aRKay on
In article <jollyroger-BE26F2.19314908072010(a)news.individual.net>,
Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:

> > Since I no longer own a PC and do not have to deal with Windows, I may
> > reformat it as a Mac drive.
>
> Advisable!

Done!

Pages: 1