From: Gordon Gekko on
I looked in "About This Mac" but can't locate the registration/purchase
dates for two current Macs (OS X) I own-- also for an iPod Touch and an
older model Shuffle.

Anyone know the location?
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <i14meq$fnm$1(a)news.albasani.net>,
Gordon Gekko <gordon(a)wallst.net> wrote:

> I looked in "About This Mac" but can't locate the registration/purchase
> dates for two current Macs (OS X) I own-- also for an iPod Touch and an
> older model Shuffle.
>
> Anyone know the location?

Wherever you keep your purchase receipts.

JR
From: D Finnigan on
Gordon Gekko wrote:
> I looked in "About This Mac" but can't locate the registration/purchase
> dates for two current Macs (OS X) I own-- also for an iPod Touch and an
> older model Shuffle.
>
> Anyone know the location?

Check the creation date of your home folder.

--
Mac GUI Vault - A source for retro Apple II and Macintosh
computing.
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <dog_cow-1278607285(a)macgui.com>,
dog_cow(a)macgui.com (D Finnigan) wrote:

> Gordon Gekko wrote:
> > I looked in "About This Mac" but can't locate the registration/purchase
> > dates for two current Macs (OS X) I own-- also for an iPod Touch and an
> > older model Shuffle.
> >
> > Anyone know the location?
> >

> Check the creation date of your home folder.

That's not a reliable measure.

JR
From: Richard Maine on
Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

> In article <i14meq$fnm$1(a)news.albasani.net>,
> Gordon Gekko <gordon(a)wallst.net> wrote:
>
> > I looked in "About This Mac" but can't locate the registration/purchase
> > dates for two current Macs (OS X) I own-- also for an iPod Touch and an
> > older model Shuffle.
>
> The purchase and registration dates are not stored in the computer unless
> you have them on a document. If you ordered them on line or had the store
> email you a receipt, you have the receipt in an email message (unless you
> discarded it). Otherwise, you should have a paper receipt.

Or you can check what Apple's records say by going to the support page
on their web site. There's a "check your service and support coverage"
link there. You can enter your serial number into it.

Of course, if you want the data in order to argue that Apple's records
are wrong, that won't be of much help, so its back to the reciepts bin.
I did have a case where Apple's records were wrong, though odds are high
it was Best Buy's fault. I would not normally buy a Mac at Best Buy, but
my options were low. (I was buying it for my elderly Mom, was in town
for only a few days for dad's funeral, needed to get it set up for her
in those few days, and Best Buy was the only local physical store that
stocked Macs). I got a refurb unit that was supposed to include an "as
new" warrantee, but it looks like Best Buy didn't bother to tell Apple
about reselling it, so Apple still had the purchase data of the original
buyer. Best buy also didn't even bother to delete the original buyer's
account. Who knows what banking or other data might have been in there?
(Not me. When it booted to a login screen with someone else's name, the
first thing I did was erase and reinstall the OS.)

Note that nothing on the computer could reasonably be reliable for the
purpose. There are all kinds of ways that any such information could get
changed in the relatively normal course of things. An erase/reinstall
would wipe pretty much everything that's in the normal file system. You
can deduce a manufacture date by decoding the serial number, but that
doesn't tell you purchase or registration dates.

domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain