From: BillW50 on
Who makes this very limited netbook and who would ever buy one?

http://www.heartlandamerica.com/browse/catalog_viewer.asp?GUID=88A436D6-97D6-432E-9EC9-224426087E2F&CS=4

It is page 7 of their catalog if the link doesn't work.

260MHz processor
128MB of RAM
Windows CE 5.0
2GB SSD
7 hour run time on battery
7 inch LCD 800x600 display
$179.99

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) - Windows XP SP2
From: Adrian C on
BillW50 wrote:
> Who makes this very limited netbook and who would ever buy one?
>
> http://www.heartlandamerica.com/browse/catalog_viewer.asp?GUID=88A436D6-97D6-432E-9EC9-224426087E2F&CS=4
>

> It is page 7 of their catalog if the link doesn't work.
>
> 260MHz processor
> 128MB of RAM
> Windows CE 5.0
> 2GB SSD
> 7 hour run time on battery
> 7 inch LCD 800x600 display
> $179.99

It's a toy.

Google "Lexibook Laptop" for something similar. That's sold here in the
UK (by Argos cat# 0817743) for �180 ($292).

* The Lexibook My First Computer is a real laptop that runs on
Microsoft Windows CE 5.0 which provides strong protection from viruses.

* Peace of mind when accessing the Internet is provided by the
built in parental controls that prevents access to inappropriate websites.

* Supplied Ready to Go straight from the box with Internet
Explorer, Messenger, Media Player, Word Processor, Spreadsheet, 6
language translator & 50 educational games.

* 8 LCD screen, 1GB flash hard drive, SD (HC) / MMC card reader,
Samsung 400Mhz CPU, 2 USB Ports, battery life up to 3.5 hours

* 1 of Lithium Battery Included

* For ages 6 years and over

* Size (H) 22.5 x (W) 16.4 x (D) 3 cms

Customer Reviews

"Good little computer for kids but unfortunatly you could not get it
wireless compatiable. so we had to take this item back as wires for
young children was unsuitable."

"This little computer is good if you stick to whats already built into
the lap top but as soon as you go onto the internet thats when the
problems begin.There just is"nt no memory on it,it just keeps telling
you to borrow storage from else where in the computer.We bought
additional 4Gb memory sticks which have done nothing.We have been told
to get enough memory to play games (which is what my daughters wanted)we
would have to purchase a hard drive..Not happy,wish we had bought a note
book instead!"

--
Adrian C
From: Roger Mills on
BillW50 <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote:

> Who makes this very limited netbook and who would ever buy one?
>
> http://www.heartlandamerica.com/browse/catalog_viewer.asp?GUID=88A436D6-97D6-432E-9EC9-224426087E2F&CS=4
>
> It is page 7 of their catalog if the link doesn't work.
>
> 260MHz processor
> 128MB of RAM
> Windows CE 5.0
> 2GB SSD
> 7 hour run time on battery
> 7 inch LCD 800x600 display
> $179.99

It looks about as useful as this one from Maplin! <g>
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=257308&C=email-newsletter&U=09P12-07-NA68JJ&T=341473

--
Cheers,
Roger

From: Adrian C on
Roger Mills wrote:
>> 260MHz processor
>> 128MB of RAM
>> Windows CE 5.0
>> 2GB SSD
>> 7 hour run time on battery
>> 7 inch LCD 800x600 display
>> $179.99
>
> It looks about as useful as this one from Maplin! <g>
> http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=257308&C=email-newsletter&U=09P12-07-NA68JJ&T=341473

That looks like the same one.

--
Adrian C
From: AJL on
"Roger Mills" <watt.tyler(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

>In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
>BillW50 <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote:
>
>> Who makes this very limited netbook and who would ever buy one?
>>
>> http://www.heartlandamerica.com/browse/catalog_viewer.asp?GUID=88A436D6-97D6-432E-9EC9-224426087E2F&CS=4
>>
>> It is page 7 of their catalog if the link doesn't work.
>>
>> 260MHz processor
>> 128MB of RAM
>> Windows CE 5.0
>> 2GB SSD
>> 7 hour run time on battery
>> 7 inch LCD 800x600 display
>> $179.99
>
>It looks about as useful as this one from Maplin! <g>
>http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=257308&C=email-newsletter&U=09P12-07-NA68JJ&T=341473

Or this one:
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4209

Oh wait. That's mine and it often gets more use than my real laptops.
(It doesn't make sense to carry around an 8 lb Mac truck when a 2 lb
VW will do... ;)