From: Larz on
the usb dynex mouse on my dell inspiron stopped working for no reason.
I have two of them and neither will work. At first my ipod had the
same problem, but I went to device mgr and selected detect hardware
changes and got that to work. Recently it had automatically updated
windows. What can I try. I've rebooted several times, no luck .. -
windows vista. touchpad works ok, external usb drive works

From: BillW50 on
In
Larz typed on Sat, 12 Dec 2009 00:33:13 -0800 (PST):
> the usb dynex mouse on my dell inspiron stopped working for no reason.
> I have two of them and neither will work. At first my ipod had the
> same problem, but I went to device mgr and selected detect hardware
> changes and got that to work. Recently it had automatically updated
> windows. What can I try. I've rebooted several times, no luck .. -
> windows vista. touchpad works ok, external usb drive works

In the Device Manager, does it show two drivers? One for the touchpad
and one for the mouse? Generally the touchpad driver also is used for
the mouse as well. Which manufacture is the touchpad and the mouse?

There are many ways to deal with this. Some of them a bit tricky. But
one way is to create another account and then logon with this account
and see if the problem goes away. If this works, that user account
probably is corrupted.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

From: Larz on
On Dec 12, 2:53 pm, "BillW50" <Bill...(a)aol.kom> wrote:
> Innews:1678c6e2-f119-4fe2-a7c5-912ceee440b1(a)m16g2000yqc.googlegroups.com,
> Larz typed on Sat, 12 Dec 2009 00:33:13 -0800 (PST):
>
> > the usb dynex mouse on my dell inspiron stopped working for no reason.
> > I have two of them and neither will work. At first my ipod had the
> > same problem, but I went to device mgr and selected detect hardware
> > changes and got that to work. Recently it had automatically updated
> > windows. What can I try. I've rebooted several times, no luck .. -
> > windows vista. touchpad works ok, external usb drive works
>
> In the Device Manager, does it show two drivers? One for the touchpad
> and one for the mouse? Generally the touchpad driver also is used for
> the mouse as well. Which manufacture is the touchpad and the mouse?
>
> There are many ways to deal with this. Some of them a bit tricky. But
> one way is to create another account and then logon with this account
> and see if the problem goes away. If this works, that user account
> probably is corrupted.
>
> --
> Bill
> Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
> Windows XP SP2

under 'mice and other devices' in dev mgr it only shows 'dell
touchpad' and that is all there is. It's a dynex mouse and it was
working fine for several months until last night.

I created a new user, but when logged in as that user it still did not
work ..
From: Larz on

The other thing that happens is when you plug the mouse into the usb,
the red light on the bottom only comes on for a second and then shuts
off, or sometimes it doesn't come on at all. There is no 'plunk' sound
that you usually get when you connect. external usb drive seems to
work fine though ..
From: BillW50 on
On 12/12/2009 10:57 PM, Larz wrote:

> The other thing that happens is when you plug the mouse into the usb,
> the red light on the bottom only comes on for a second and then shuts
> off, or sometimes it doesn't come on at all. There is no 'plunk' sound
> that you usually get when you connect. external usb drive seems to
> work fine though ..

Oh that changes everything. Is that USB hard drive self powered? 3 1/2
inch ones usually are and 2.5 inch usually isn't. If the former, the
hard drive should work fine without USB power.

So it looks like one of two possibilities. The mouse itself is shot, or
the USB port drops power. Try plugging it into other USB ports if you
didn't already try. Even on another computer.

Side note, static electricity has a nasty habit of knocking out mice
from time to time. So that is one possibility.

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) - Windows XP SP2