From: thierry on
Hello,

I bought an Acer Aspire 4810T with vista 32 preinstalled.
For opening the dvd-drive you push a button juste above the key
<Suppr> at the top on the right. (drive must be empty)

I formated the harddisk and installed a windows seven, then
installed some original Acer drivers you can download on the
page of Acer.

http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/downloads_gd.html
(choose notebook->aspire>4810T->windows7 ultimate x32)

Nevertheless the drive does not open any more by pushing the button.
Fortunately, i can always open the drive by selecting the (empty)
drive in the explorer, mousebutton rightclick and choose "open".

But i'd like to remake the open button function.

Do you have any idea where the problem could be?

In the administration of windows 7 ?
A missing driver?

(I noticed that there are lot's of drivers but not for
the dvd-drive, perhaps this drive is managed by the
chipset-driver you must install first befor installing
other acer drivers, or by the windows7 ?)

Thank you

From: Steve Pearce on

Reboot the machine and park it in the BIOS. Does the button work now?
If it doesn't then it's not a software issue, most probably the
physical button is broken.
From: thierry on
Steve Pearce wrote:

> Reboot the machine and park it in the BIOS. Does the button work now?
> If it doesn't then it's not a software issue, most probably the
> physical button is broken.

Thank you. I tried this, and the button works well, drive opens.
From: BillW50 on
In news:4b28a59e$0$921$ba4acef3(a)news.orange.fr,
thierry typed on Wed, 16 Dec 2009 10:25:15 +0100:
> Steve Pearce wrote:
>

>> Reboot the machine and park it in the BIOS. Does the button work now?
>> If it doesn't then it's not a software issue, most probably the
>> physical button is broken.
>
> Thank you. I tried this, and the button works well, drive opens.

Did you install the chipset drivers first? Then did you install the ACPI
drivers? And usually CD and DVD drives don't come with any drivers. So
if you can't find any, that is why. Personally, I don't believe a lot of
manufactures have their Windows 7 drivers up to par yet. At least if the
hardware didn't originally come with Windows 7.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

From: thierry on
BillW50 wrote:

> Did you install the chipset drivers first? Then did you install the ACPI
> drivers? And usually CD and DVD drives don't come with any drivers. So
> if you can't find any, that is why. Personally, I don't believe a lot of
> manufactures have their Windows 7 drivers up to par yet. At least if the
> hardware didn't originally come with Windows 7.

Well, after the installation of win7, I first installed the chipset
driver (one driver), but not an ACPI driver; I don't find one.
The ACPI driver could he have another name? I'm not well versed
in these things.

(http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/downloads_gd.html
acer->aspire->notebook->4810T-win7 ultimate 32)

Perhaps should I look by the manufacturer of the DVD-drive?
(if I can figure it out)