From: SteveL on
Hi,

I need the benefit of some experience.

I have a SuperMicro X7DAE motherboard.

It has 8 memory slots. The manual says the board will support a max of
32 GB memory. i.e. 8x4GB DIMMS

However 8GB dimms are increasingly available nowadays. So I'm
wondering if the 32GB limit is likely to really be a hard limit, or
just that when the board was released 4GB dimms were pretty much the
maximum available/tested with?

All the manual says on the subject is:
"The (5000X Greencreek) MCH chipset connects up to 8 Fully Buffered
DIMM modules, providing a total of 32.0 GB/s for DDR2 667/533 memory",
which is slightly woolly.

Also the Intel site for the Intel� 5000X Greencreek Chipset quotes the
maximum as 64GB (which would fit with 8x8GB)

Not expecting anyone to know about this particular motherboard
outright, just a rule of thumb about the veracity of memory limits
quoted in MB manuals......

Many thanks.
From: Arno on
SteveL <stevelon(a)deletethisbitntlworld.com> wrote:
> Hi,

> I need the benefit of some experience.

> I have a SuperMicro X7DAE motherboard.

> It has 8 memory slots. The manual says the board will support a max of
> 32 GB memory. i.e. 8x4GB DIMMS

Ask SuperMicro. In the worst case the address lines are not there.
Slightly better would be a BIOS limitation, unless they have an
upgrade.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: Rod Speed on
John Turco wrote
> Arno wrote
>> SteveL <stevelon(a)deletethisbitntlworld.com> wrote

>>> I need the benefit of some experience.

>>> I have a SuperMicro X7DAE motherboard.

>>> It has 8 memory slots. The manual says the board will
>>> support a max of 32 GB memory. i.e. 8x4GB DIMMS

>> Ask SuperMicro. In the worst case the address lines are not there.
>> Slightly better would be a BIOS limitation, unless they have an upgrade.

> Why did the original poster even ask such an off-topic question,
> here in <news:comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage>?

Presumably they decided that memory is storage.