From: Frustrated on
I'm looking at mobo longevity here as well as video and peripheral
upgradability (future proof). Should one spend the extra money and buy
a mobo that has PCIe running x16,x8 vs 16,x4? Basically, I am
considering the Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P or GA-P55A-UD3P.

From: Bill on

"Frustrated" <nospam(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking at mobo longevity here as well as video and peripheral
> upgradability (future proof). Should one spend the extra money and buy
> a mobo that has PCIe running x16,x8 vs 16,x4?

If you're like me, and usually keeps your computer for 3 years or more then
I think it's cheap insurance to spend the extra $30. If you're not like me,
it's probably easily worth the $30 so you won't be disappointed when you
start running USB 3.0. If the $30 seems like alot, you should probably be
looking at a different system. This IS ONLY MY OPINION, I am not an expert,
but I am planning to buy the UP4P motherboard too. Good luck!

Bill

From: Paul on
Frustrated wrote:
> I'm looking at mobo longevity here as well as video and peripheral
> upgradability (future proof). Should one spend the extra money and buy
> a mobo that has PCIe running x16,x8 vs 16,x4? Basically, I am
> considering the Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P or GA-P55A-UD3P.

On the P55, the "good" PCI Express interfaces are on the processor itself.
The rest come from the Southbridge chip. Make sure you understand the
limitations of a P55 (LGA1156) implementation before buying. Download the
P55 motherboard manual, and read about any restrictions on usage.

The X58 has the PCI Express lanes on the Northbridge, and there are more
of them to work with. There are a few more options as to how they can
be distributed to the motherboard.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/3/T/166025/original/X58-blockdiagram.gif

The fun begins on the P55, when they try to run the Southbridge lanes
at PCI Express Rev.2 rates. Some boards do that, to help an onboard USB3
or SATA3 chip.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/screenshots/medium/2009/09/P55-blockdiagram.gif

If you're concerned about future proofing, you really have to do a
lot of careful analysis for yourself. Do the lane counts add up ?
Is the board cutting corners somewhere ? It isn't something you
get an answer to in 30 seconds. An advert on Newegg isn't enough to
figure it all out. The manual is a bit more informative.

Paul

From: peter on
Have you looked at the Asus versions of that chipset with SATA3 and USB3
They took a different route and left the PCIe alone

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

From: CCR on
:
: If you're like me, and usually keeps your computer for 3 years or
: more then I think it's cheap insurance to spend the extra $30. If
: you're not like me, it's probably easily worth the $30 so you won't
: be disappointed when you start running USB 3.0. If the $30 seems
: like alot, you should probably be looking at a different system.
: This IS ONLY MY OPINION, I am not an expert, but I am planning to buy
: the UP4P motherboard too. Good luck!

Hi Bill,

Yes, I am like you. I tend to keep a PC for 3 years. We're on the same
page here. However, the next post has me rethinking things and whether
or not I should go with the i7 920 (X58) chipset.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: AMD TK-53 mobile
Next: Help with USB speeds