From: JR on
On Feb 5, 9:19 am, Stefan Kiryazov <stefan.kirya...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am doing a research about motivation in software development, the
> most efficient practices to motivate software engineers, their
> popularity, etc.
>
> As a part of the research, I am doing an online survey for software
> engineers and managers in software development. It takes just several
> minutes and filling it is a good opportunity to share your opinion
> about the motivation practices being used in the software industry
> today:http://ask.wizefish.com/en/MotivationSurvey.aspx
>
> Anyone who does the survey and leaves any contacts will be sent the
> results.
>
> Also, if someone is running a web site or blog dedicated to any aspect
> of software development we can do some link exchange.

I suggest reading about the "Two Factor theory of emotion", also known
as "Herzberg's motivation-hygiene theory". I studied this concept in
1984 for the first time, and I think it is still acceptable today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-factor_theory

Cheers,
JR
From: John B. Matthews on
In article
<dabc5b6d-f342-466a-a4b6-8e7034956bd4(a)a32g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
Stefan Kiryazov <stefan.kiryazov(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I am doing a research about motivation in software development, the
> most efficient practices to motivate software engineers, their
> popularity, etc.

[...]

This reminds me of "Drescher and the toaster":

A disciple of another sect once came to Drescher as he was
eating his morning meal.

“I would like to give you this personality test”, said the
outsider, “because I want you to be happy.”

Drescher took the paper that was offered him and put it into
the toaster, saying: “I wish the toaster to be happy, too.”

<http://catb.org/jargon/html/koans.html#id3141308>

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com
From: Patricia Shanahan on
Stefan Kiryazov wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am doing a research about motivation in software development, the
> most efficient practices to motivate software engineers, their
> popularity, etc.

I don't qualify as a software professional now, but I did work in the
computer industry for 32 years.

In my experience, software professionals are people, each with their own
motivations. Assuming everyone has the same motivations is a basic
leadership error.

That said, by definition professionals are, to some extent, in it for
the money. If they were not, they would be amateurs as I am now. How
that is balanced against interesting work, physical working conditions,
status, etc. varies.

Patricia
From: Wojtek on
Patricia Shanahan wrote :
> Stefan Kiryazov wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am doing a research about motivation in software development, the
>> most efficient practices to motivate software engineers, their
>> popularity, etc.
>
> I don't qualify as a software professional now, but I did work in the
> computer industry for 32 years.
>
> In my experience, software professionals are people, each with their own
> motivations. Assuming everyone has the same motivations is a basic
> leadership error.
>
> That said, by definition professionals are, to some extent, in it for
> the money. If they were not, they would be amateurs as I am now. How
> that is balanced against interesting work, physical working conditions,
> status, etc. varies.

Hmmm, I have seen "professionals" who should be escorted out by
security. And then people who do it for personal satisfaction who
produce excellent code.

The FOSS movement has a mix of these two groups.

Being a professional is a state of mind rather than renumeration.

But yes, I like to eat too....

--
Wojtek :-)

From: Walter Banks on

Stefan Kiryazov wrote:

> I am doing a research about motivation in software development, the
> most efficient practices to motivate software engineers, their
> popularity, etc.

Watching it all come together in a project after 40 years still
has the same excitement. I resigned from a good job 30 years
ago to program again as a career telling colleges at the time
that I may never work again but I am playing 50 or 60 hours
a week at something I love to do.

Regards,

w..
--