From: Nick Keighley on

From: James Kanze on
On Feb 5, 12:23 pm, Richard Cornford <Rich...(a)litotes.demon.co.uk>
wrote:
> On Feb 5, 11:19 am, Stefan Kiryazov wrote:

> > I am doing a research about motivation in software
> > development, the most efficient practices to motivate
> > software engineers, their popularity, etc.

> Strange question; the most efficient motivator of
> professionals is money, and money is very popular.

Yes and no. Obviously, money plays a role---some of us have
expensive habits, like eating regularly, that have to be paid
for. But it has its limits, and I've rarely seen money alone
motivate the best performance (in anything).

--
James Kanze
From: Dirk Bruere at NeoPax on
MarkusSchaber wrote:
> On 5 Feb., 13:23, Richard Cornford <Rich...(a)litotes.demon.co.uk>
> wrote:
>> On Feb 5, 11:19 am, Stefan Kiryazov wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> I am doing a research about motivation in software development,
>>> the most efficient practices to motivate software engineers,
>>> their popularity, etc.
>> Strange question; the most efficient motivator of professionals is
>> money, [...]
>
> This was proven wrong by Science. Read Bruce Eckels excellent blog
> entries about this topic, he always references relliable sources on
> this subject.

Depends.
Right now I am primarily motivated by money, or at least the lack of it.

--
Dirk

From: MarkusSchaber on
Hi, Dirk,

On 8 Feb., 03:18, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax <dirk.bru...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Strange question; the most efficient motivator of professionals is
> >> money, [...]
> > This was proven wrong by Science. Read Bruce Eckels excellent blog
> > entries about this topic, he always references relliable sources on
> > this subject.
> Depends.
> Right now I am primarily motivated by money, or at least the lack of it.

I won't dispute that money is a motivator, but it is not the most
efficient motivator. The more money you pay, the more you will attract
those developers which are purely after the money, and not the really
good ones. For the latter ones, a certain level on the paycheck is
enough to give attention to fun, excitement, atmosphere and such
factors.
From: Dirk Bruere at NeoPax on
MarkusSchaber wrote:
> Hi, Dirk,

>>> This was proven wrong by Science. Read Bruce Eckels excellent blog
>>> entries about this topic, he always references relliable sources on
>>> this subject.
>> Depends.
>> Right now I am primarily motivated by money, or at least the lack of it.
>
> I won't dispute that money is a motivator, but it is not the most
> efficient motivator. The more money you pay, the more you will attract
> those developers which are purely after the money, and not the really
> good ones. For the latter ones, a certain level on the paycheck is
> enough to give attention to fun, excitement, atmosphere and such
> factors.

I once joked with an employer that if he paid me twice as much I would
only have to work half as long :-)

--
Dirk