From: Arved Sandstrom on
Seebs wrote:
> On 2010-02-12, Arved Sandstrom <dcest61(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> In a similar vein, what about the free software around which an
>> ecosystem of "support" developers has grown, who sell their expertise in
>> deploying the software in a client environment, or doing a job for a
>> client using the program?
>
> Well, in that case, I think you might have a contract. $DAYJOB sells stuff
> which is in large part "linux and free software", but there are contractual
> terms above and beyond the stuff given in the license.
>
> But if you don't like it, you talk to us about the contract under which you
> bought it, not to Mr. Torvalds.
>
>> Even more specifically, what about software
>> given out for free, around which the _author_ offers such support
>> services? This practise is not uncommon. By doing so, has not the author
>> implicitly guaranteed the fitness of his application? How can he then
>> simultaneously provide the program free of charge for anyone who wants
>> it, and claim that it is so unreliable that he can offer no guarantees
>> for it? This is rather at odds with his own use of it in a commercial
>> setting.
>
> I don't think so. If you want a guarantee, you buy it. If you didn't
> buy anything, you haven't established a commercial relationship giving you
> a reasonable expectation of support or fitness for a particular purpose;
> after all, the entire point of selling support is to sell the promise that
> you'll make it fit for a particular purpose if it isn't, which it might
> not be.
>
> -s

Everything you say is regrettably where our field is at right now. Which
is pretty sad.

The whole point of the discussion was, I thought, to see if we can't do
better than this. I don't have all the answers, and I don't purport to
have all the answers. I am simply describing what I see to be a
desirable goal, that of an elevated level of professionalism in our
field. I don't think we'll get there by just hoping that individuals do
a better job.

AHS
From: Seebs on
On 2010-02-13, Arved Sandstrom <dcest61(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> The whole point of the discussion was, I thought, to see if we can't do
> better than this. I don't have all the answers, and I don't purport to
> have all the answers. I am simply describing what I see to be a
> desirable goal, that of an elevated level of professionalism in our
> field. I don't think we'll get there by just hoping that individuals do
> a better job.

Perhaps, but I think it's important to understand that there are sound reasons
for which free software is in many cases much more "professional" than
commercial software, and there are sound reasons for which it would be
completely crippling to our industry to make it harder, rather than easier,
to make and distribute free software.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net
From: spinoza1111 on
On Feb 5, 7:19 pm, Stefan Kiryazov <stefan.kirya...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am doing a research about motivation in software development, the
> most efficient practices to motivate software engineers, their
> popularity, etc.
>
> As a part of the research, I am doing an online survey for software
> engineers and managers in software development. It takes just several
> minutes and filling it is a good opportunity to share your opinion
> about the motivation practices being used in the software industry
> today:http://ask.wizefish.com/en/MotivationSurvey.aspx
>
> Anyone who does the survey and leaves any contacts will be sent the
> results.
>
> Also, if someone is running a web site or blog dedicated to any aspect
> of software development we can do some link exchange.
>
> Regards,
> Stefan Kiryazov

(Sigh)

To understand software professionals you have to understand software.

Why do psychologists and MBAs not understand that to really do an
adequate job at "studying" a fully huamn endeavor both from the
standpoint of decency-towards-others and mere truth, they have to do
what (some) anthropologists call "thick description" and also
"participant observer"?

Anthropologist Diane Vaughan successfully studied a technical
phenomenon: the crash of the Challenger Space Shuttle. She did so as a
participant observer and using thick description, not questionnaires
with all sorts of hidden bias, including the basic bias of a
questionnaire: the people who respond to it are the sort of people who
actually like answering questionnaires.

From: Arved Sandstrom on
Seebs wrote:
> On 2010-02-13, Arved Sandstrom <dcest61(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> The whole point of the discussion was, I thought, to see if we can't do
>> better than this. I don't have all the answers, and I don't purport to
>> have all the answers. I am simply describing what I see to be a
>> desirable goal, that of an elevated level of professionalism in our
>> field. I don't think we'll get there by just hoping that individuals do
>> a better job.
>
> Perhaps, but I think it's important to understand that there are sound reasons
> for which free software is in many cases much more "professional" than
> commercial software, and there are sound reasons for which it would be
> completely crippling to our industry to make it harder, rather than easier,
> to make and distribute free software.
>
> -s

Let's take it as a given that free software has a decent model. I've
been, and still am, a participant in the process of creating free
software, and I wouldn't do that if it wasn't a good model. However, the
main problem with it is that it engages only a small fraction of all
software developers, and accounts for only a very small fraction of all
software that is written.

I can also think of many cases where free software, even when absorbing
the attention of many enthusiastic and competent developers, does not
compare favourably to commercial equivalents. Free software is not a
superior model except insofar as where a particular problem attracts
enough above-average developers with time on their hands, they have good
synergy, and they stay the course.

As you say, and what I agree with, the successful free software seems to
have settled into the areas of infrastructure and also common programs
(like office suites and image editing, as a few examples). That latter
category is also infrastructure in a way.

But the real problem, which is not addressed by free software, and which
comprises the huge majority of all software, is custom stuff. And it is
this category that suffers, and suffers badly, from the lack of
professionalism in our field. It is this category where clients would
benefit from having proven, guaranteed quantities when it comes to
employees/contractors and products.

AHS
From: Seebs on
On 2010-02-13, Arved Sandstrom <dcest61(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Let's take it as a given that free software has a decent model. I've
> been, and still am, a participant in the process of creating free
> software, and I wouldn't do that if it wasn't a good model. However, the
> main problem with it is that it engages only a small fraction of all
> software developers, and accounts for only a very small fraction of all
> software that is written.

Agreed.

But it's crucial infrastructure, and any policy discouraging it would deal
immense damage to fundamental infrastructure.

People *MUST* be free to give code away without any kind of liability.

> I can also think of many cases where free software, even when absorbing
> the attention of many enthusiastic and competent developers, does not
> compare favourably to commercial equivalents. Free software is not a
> superior model except insofar as where a particular problem attracts
> enough above-average developers with time on their hands, they have good
> synergy, and they stay the course.

Sure. But... The set of things that can be done well as free software has
consistently increased over time. It was not that long ago that people would
grant that emacs was a good editor, but insist that you couldn't do a decent
free compiler. Then it was possible to do a decent free compiler, but not a
decent free operating system. Then it was word processors.

> But the real problem, which is not addressed by free software, and which
> comprises the huge majority of all software, is custom stuff. And it is
> this category that suffers, and suffers badly, from the lack of
> professionalism in our field. It is this category where clients would
> benefit from having proven, guaranteed quantities when it comes to
> employees/contractors and products.

And if it were possible to measure the things we really care about, that
might be very useful. But it appears not to be.

That said, I agree that it would make sense to increase the scope of
prospective liability *for commercial software*. That is to say, if you
are paying for software, it may make sense to create a relationship in
which there could be liability.

But if you add liability to software which is given away for free, it
will destroy our infrastructure.

People who create contractual relationships can put liability clauses in
them, and often do. That works fine. It might be nice to set minimum
liability or warranty on software which is paid for, though. For instance,
I wouldn't see any big risk to our society if there were a minimum cap
of the full purchase price of software for damage done by faults in that
software. (As in, no matter what the contract says, if it does damage, you
can recoup that damage, up to the full purchase price.) We'd need to address
some of the craziness of licensing and so on...

But fundamentally, the problem is a lot more with Microsoft and the EULA model
than it is with free software, and any proposed "fix" which would cripple free
software while Microsoft could continue to run roughshod over it is clearly
not a good fix.

I think that if we had a working liability model for commercial software, the
market would probably be able to develop working models for how to determine
whether developers were competent. Right now, the primary problem isn't that
we can't determine whether developers are competent, it's that people don't
particularly care.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net