From: Branimir Maksimovic on
Richard Heathfield wrote:
> Nick Keighley wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> try dictating hex patches down a phone line.
>
> Done that. Well, kind of. I once had to dictate assembly language
> instructions down a phone line to a non-techie (broker), for him to type
> into DEBUG, and then assemble and run. Fortunately, the program was very
> short. (Although email and the Web both existed at the time, neither of
> us had access to either of them, and the broker needed an instant
> solution, so I couldn't just snail him a diskette.)
>
> It wasn't easy!

That guy was pretty techie, because it contradicts my experience.
For example one guy was not capable to just find and change
parameter in config file, and I mailed him that.
Problem was that config file had about 1000 lines and
he didn;t knew how to apply case insensitive search.
In my experince lot of them don;t even know what is text
editor let alone debugger. So that guy was techie for, sure....

Greets
From: Richard Heathfield on
Branimir Maksimovic wrote:
> Richard Heathfield wrote:
>> Nick Keighley wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>>> try dictating hex patches down a phone line.
>>
>> Done that. Well, kind of. I once had to dictate assembly language
>> instructions down a phone line to a non-techie (broker), for him to
>> type into DEBUG, and then assemble and run. Fortunately, the program
>> was very short. (Although email and the Web both existed at the time,
>> neither of us had access to either of them, and the broker needed an
>> instant solution, so I couldn't just snail him a diskette.)
>>
>> It wasn't easy!
>>
> That guy was pretty techie,

Nope.

> because it contradicts my experience.
> For example one guy was not capable to just find and change
> parameter in config file, and I mailed him that.
> Problem was that config file had about 1000 lines and
> he didn;t knew how to apply case insensitive search.
> In my experince lot of them don;t even know what is text
> editor let alone debugger.

Neither did this guy. If it hadn't been for the fact that this was in
MS-DOS days, I'd have had to talk him through opening a console.
Fortunately, he was already in the console because that was all his
system had!

I literally had to dictate every single thing I wanted him to type,
starting with Dee Ee Bee Yew Gee...

Email: -http://www. +rjh@
Sig line vacant - apply within
From: Branimir Maksimovic on
Richard Heathfield wrote:

> I literally had to dictate every single thing I wanted him to type,
> starting with Dee Ee Bee Yew Gee...

I admire you ;)

Greets
From: Lew on

Branimir Maksimovic wrote:
> I admire you ;)

I used to walk secretaries through swapping out or otherwise repairing
motherboard components over the phone back in the early 90s as part of my
tech-support role. Our customers also often had very weird software issues
that we'd help with.

They would only call my employer after having at least one other "expert" make
the problem worse.

The key was to make them take a break of at least an hour before I would help
them, usually out of their office at a park or some other nice place.

People aren't usually stupid, and if they're highly motivated to solve a
problem you can get them through almost anything if you are kind, empathetic
and very, very patient. There was a science to it also - my techniques were
not random. Starting with assuming competence on the part of the customer.
There's a difference between ignorance and stupidity; the former is curable.

I compare it to being the guy in the airport control tower who talks young
Timmy through how to land the plane after the pilot has a heart attack.

--
Lew
From: Branimir Maksimovic on
Lew wrote:
> Richard Heathfield wrote:
>>> I literally had to dictate every single thing I wanted him to type,
>>> starting with Dee Ee Bee Yew Gee...
>
> Branimir Maksimovic wrote:
>> I admire you ;)
>
> I used to walk secretaries through swapping out or otherwise repairing
> motherboard components over the phone back in the early 90s as part of
> my tech-support role. Our customers also often had very weird software
> issues that we'd help with.
>
> They would only call my employer after having at least one other
> "expert" make the problem worse.

Well, usually customers are better educated than support, in my experience.
I don;t have direct contact with customers rather customer support.

> The key was to make them take a break of at least an hour before I would
> help them, usually out of their office at a park or some other nice place.
>
> People aren't usually stupid, and if they're highly motivated to solve a
I think that this is most important factor. Customer support where
I live is not very well motivated...

But then again money is not most motivating factor ;)
Well, look some girl that claimed that is expert for C network
programming (university education), wanted to get job at current
firm where I work. She said "currently my computer is not
working cause window is broken")
Other guy that claimed C/C++ expert (worked in Portugal for
military) asked did C have function pointer. When we
showed question from Stroustrups book (duffs device),
he dind;t know what is all about. No one of fifty computer
scientist masters dind't recognized duffs device (even guy which
was borne in 63').
So I concluded if I see university diploma "master of computer scinece"
that's sure sine of ignorance or something similar in country where I live.
One guy who claimed wrote sw for robots dind;t knew how much is 2^32 ;)
I think that are very few people who know ho to program computers these
days.
Blame educations system, because "C is not safe" and
"stay away from assembler". Soon no one will know how to program,
and older guys will earn lot of money , but there would be not enough of
them...

Greets