From: James Kanze on
On Feb 16, 10:09 am, Nick Keighley <nick_keighley_nos...(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:
> On 16 Feb, 03:40, Seebs <usenet-nos...(a)seebs.net> wrote:

> I've got mixed opinions on this. The real review takes place
> off line. Explanation and discussion of possible solutions (I
> know, a code walthru isn't supposed to consider solutions- a
> daft idea if you ask me [1]) at a meeting.

> Design meeetings can work.

It's always difficult to find the right balance, because people
do vary. What I think is certain is that you do need some time
isolated, to let your ideas jell, and you need some meetings, at
least at either end: brainstorming sessions before really
starting, and code reviews after the code has been written.
Between the two, different people probably have different needs.
A lot of people claim that they're most effective in pair
programming, for example, where as I (and some others I know)
would be much less effective if I couldn't do large parts of the
work more or less in isolation.

--
James Kanze
From: Mike Schilling on
Branimir Maksimovic wrote:
> Nick Keighley wrote:
>>
>> I was noting the fixed point in the human experience. Things are
>> degenerating and were always better in the past.
>>
>> <snip>
>
> To be honest things were always simpler in the past.

Compare disks which ae formatted for a particular record size (requiring the
inter-record gap to be figured into the record/track calculation) with disks
that have fixed sector sizes, Which is simpler?

From: Flash Gordon on
Richard Heathfield wrote:
> Lars Enderin wrote:
>> Richard Bos wrote:

>>> Single signed byte?
>>
>> Was it really 2028?
>
> Quite possibly. Not every problem ending in 8 is a 2038 problem. If the
> test rigs had 1900 as a base date (and yes, there's still plenty of
> software around that thinks 1900 was a very good year), then the single
> signed byte Richard Bos mentioned would be good for representing all
> years from then until 2027 (assuming 8 bits to the byte). It would fail
> in 2028, quite possibly giving the year as 1772 instead.

It was indeed 2028 when it fell over. I can't remember all of the exact
details, but it was the HP Pascal system, which was based on UCSD
(IIRC). I think the data structure was either defined as being 0..99 or
0..127, and it definitely hit a problem when it rolled over to 2028, but
I can't remember the exact details and don't have access to the systems
any more (I work for a different company).

I suspect it could have been the date encoded in to a 16 bit word as
7 bits - year
4 bits - month
5 bits - day

I did clearly document the date of failure when I was asked to look in
to Y2K, but of course that documentation will be lost before then! I
also documented that the simple work-around would be to set the date
wrong and just write on the printouts the correct date!
--
Flash Gordon
From: John B. Matthews on
In article <qij857xp3j.ln2(a)news.flash-gordon.me.uk>,
Flash Gordon <smap(a)spam.causeway.com> wrote:

[...]
> It was indeed 2028 when it fell over. I can't remember all of the
> exact details, but it was the HP Pascal system, which was based on
> UCSD (IIRC). I think the data structure was either defined as being
> 0..99 or 0..127, and it definitely hit a problem when it rolled over
> to 2028, but I can't remember the exact details and don't have access
> to the systems any more (I work for a different company).
>
> I suspect it could have been the date encoded in to a 16 bit word as
> 7 bits - year
> 4 bits - month
> 5 bits - day
>
> I did clearly document the date of failure when I was asked to look
> in to Y2K, but of course that documentation will be lost before then!
> I also documented that the simple work-around would be to set the
> date wrong and just write on the printouts the correct date!

For reference, UCDSD Pascal I.5/II.0/III.0:

daterec = packed record
month: 0..12; { 0 IMPLIES DATE NOT MEANINGFUL }
day: 0..31; { DAY OF MONTH }
year: 0..100 { 100 IS TEMP DISK FLAG }
end { DATEREC } ;

<http://invent.ucsd.edu/technology/cases/1995-prior/SD1991-807.shtml>

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com
From: Flash Gordon on
John B. Matthews wrote:
> In article <qij857xp3j.ln2(a)news.flash-gordon.me.uk>,
> Flash Gordon <smap(a)spam.causeway.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>> It was indeed 2028 when it fell over. I can't remember all of the
>> exact details, but it was the HP Pascal system, which was based on
>> UCSD (IIRC). I think the data structure was either defined as being
>> 0..99 or 0..127, and it definitely hit a problem when it rolled over
>> to 2028, but I can't remember the exact details and don't have access
>> to the systems any more (I work for a different company).
>>
>> I suspect it could have been the date encoded in to a 16 bit word as
>> 7 bits - year
>> 4 bits - month
>> 5 bits - day
>>
>> I did clearly document the date of failure when I was asked to look
>> in to Y2K, but of course that documentation will be lost before then!
>> I also documented that the simple work-around would be to set the
>> date wrong and just write on the printouts the correct date!
>
> For reference, UCDSD Pascal I.5/II.0/III.0:
>
> daterec = packed record
> month: 0..12; { 0 IMPLIES DATE NOT MEANINGFUL }
> day: 0..31; { DAY OF MONTH }
> year: 0..100 { 100 IS TEMP DISK FLAG }
> end { DATEREC } ;
>
> <http://invent.ucsd.edu/technology/cases/1995-prior/SD1991-807.shtml>

Then I was probably right :-)
Actually, that does sound familiar, apart from the comment about 100. I
know I did active testing, including setting the time to before
midnight, doing power cycles after 2000 (makes sure it did not change on
power up) etc. I think there might have been some display issues outside
the application which we did not care about.

So it just goes to show, we've still got the 2028 problem to deal with!
Perhaps I should brush up on my Pascal!
--
Flash Gordon