From: Richard Bos on
MarkusSchaber <msr(a)soloplan.de> wrote:

> On 10 Feb., 22:53, Andy Champ <no....(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> > Can any locksmith or
> > burglar alarm maker guarantee that a building will withstand all attacks
> > for 12 months? =A0_That_ is the equivalent of withstanding all virus
> > attacks for 12 months - and it's on a far simpler system.
>
> Maybe not the locksmith itself, but there are insurance companies
> which calculate how high the risk is, and they take that liability.
>
> For locks, cars, even airplanes, insurance companies do that all the
> time. But there are only a few cases where this is done for software.

Yeah... but on those policies, there are usually clauses like "if you
leave your windows wide open, the insurance on your door's locks is null
and void" or "You shall not run your car into a tree while under the
influence of alcohol, or you won't get a bent dime".
You try adding things like that to a computer policy and see how far you
get. "You shall keep your virus scanner up to date and not click on
dubious attachments, or we can't guarantee that the mess you make won't
interfere with our program's operation"? You'll never get away with it.
Better not guarantee anything - you _know_ there are people who will
always mess things up, and they'll be the first to complain.

Richard
From: Richard Bos on
Lew <noone(a)lewscanon.com> wrote:

> Richard Bos wrote:
> > I've seen that - _my_ manager, in _my_ fix in _my_ program - in 1995.
> > Three years later he thought that it would be a good idea for me to
> > start paying attention to this Y2K thing he'd just heard about.
> >
> > And then there's the users. Don't get me started on the users.
>
> Yeah. Our jobs would be so much easier if we only didn't have customers!
>
> Don't dis the customers, man. Having a derogatory attitude toward "users"
> (there are only two industries that call their customers "users") is a major
> arrogance. Shame on you.

Yah. I suppose you say the same thing to a doctor who complains that his
patients keep smoking?
No, I'm sure _your_ users are all peachy-clean, and _never_ set Outhouse
to automatically execute all attachments, ever. In the real world...

Richard
From: Richard Bos on
Seebs <usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net> wrote:

> On 2010-02-13, Arved Sandstrom <dcest61(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> > In effect the commercial software is also crappy because we do not hold
> > it to a higher standard. I believe that a well-thought-out system of
> > software certifications and hence guarantees/warranties will lead to a
> > saner market where the quality of a product is generally reflected in
> > its cost.
>
> That might seem "saner", but again, the market is massively improved by
> free stuff at the baseline.
>
> Look at it this way: Would science improve if you were guaranteed that
> for-pay versions of the Periodic Table were "better" than free ones? No.
> It turns out that it's much better for everyone to have basic information
> be completely free.

That's not a valid comparison: the correctness of a Periodic Table can
be measured objectively. The "correctness" of Ganuck-C-plus-extensions
versus Microsoft-C-plus-extensions, OTOH, is a matter of holy wars.

Richard
From: Richard Bos on
Lew <noone(a)lewscanon.com> wrote:

> James Kanze wrote:
> >> Neither Linux nor g++ were even usable, and emacs (by
>
> That's pure fantasy.
>
> I used a couple of Linux distributions in the early nineties, and they worked
> better than commercial UNIX variants.

You're mad. I used Solaris to run an Informix database system not ten
years ago, and I would not have run it on Linux for the world. The
business depended on that thing: no database, no newspaper. Linux was
simply Not An Option. That system's successor is run by someone else,
but apparently he (or rather, they) agree with me: it's Oracle, not
Informix, but still running on Sun systems.
The FTP server, meanwhile, ran on Linux. That was fine, for that
purpose. But don't come to me saying that it's better than the
commercial alternatives.

> I used emacs and knew many who used vi back then. They were solid.

Yeah, but have you ever used an _editor_? No, a real one?

Richard
From: Lew on

--
Lew