From: VWWall on
Why does openSUSE make it so hard to mount a partition from another
Linux distro? I multi-boot four Linux distros, (including openSUSE),
and WindowsXP. There are 12 partitions, two for each Linux distro, a
boot partition, a Windows partition, and a shared swap partition.

I often wish to copy something from one Linux system to another. In
most Linux distros there's a "My Computer" or "Systems Media" which
shows all partitions, and allows mounting with a simple mouse click.

I do know how to mount from the cli, and how to edit fstab to
automatically mount partitions. (openSUSE uses
"/dev/disk/by-id/scusi-SATA -(drive id)-partx" instead of UUID in
fstab), and mounts only its own partitions and some Windows partitions.

Am I missing something?

--
Virg Wall
openSUSE 11.0, PCLOS 2009.2, Mepis 8.0.06, Mint 7, WinXP
From: Kevin Miller on
VWWall wrote:
> Why does openSUSE make it so hard to mount a partition from another
> Linux distro? I multi-boot four Linux distros, (including openSUSE),
> and WindowsXP. There are 12 partitions, two for each Linux distro, a
> boot partition, a Windows partition, and a shared swap partition.
>
> I often wish to copy something from one Linux system to another. In
> most Linux distros there's a "My Computer" or "Systems Media" which
> shows all partitions, and allows mounting with a simple mouse click.
>
> I do know how to mount from the cli, and how to edit fstab to
> automatically mount partitions. (openSUSE uses
> "/dev/disk/by-id/scusi-SATA -(drive id)-partx" instead of UUID in
> fstab), and mounts only its own partitions and some Windows partitions.
>
> Am I missing something?

openSUSE is quite happy mounting a partition from another distro.
You don't have to use the /dev/disk/by-id/ nomenclature. If you prefer
you can use /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, etc. You can change that in fstab if
you like or you can add the additional partitions to using that style
and leave the openSUSE partition descriptions as are they are.

I'm on my Debian box right now, and don't remember what the openSUSE "My
Computer" equivalent looks like but IIRC, there's on right there on on
the desktop. I expect that after you add the partition info to fstab it
will be able to see them just fine...

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
From: Paul J Gans on
Kevin Miller <atftb2(a)alaska.net> wrote:
>VWWall wrote:
>> Why does openSUSE make it so hard to mount a partition from another
>> Linux distro? I multi-boot four Linux distros, (including openSUSE),
>> and WindowsXP. There are 12 partitions, two for each Linux distro, a
>> boot partition, a Windows partition, and a shared swap partition.
>>
>> I often wish to copy something from one Linux system to another. In
>> most Linux distros there's a "My Computer" or "Systems Media" which
>> shows all partitions, and allows mounting with a simple mouse click.
>>
>> I do know how to mount from the cli, and how to edit fstab to
>> automatically mount partitions. (openSUSE uses
>> "/dev/disk/by-id/scusi-SATA -(drive id)-partx" instead of UUID in
>> fstab), and mounts only its own partitions and some Windows partitions.
>>
>> Am I missing something?

>openSUSE is quite happy mounting a partition from another distro.
>You don't have to use the /dev/disk/by-id/ nomenclature. If you prefer
>you can use /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, etc. You can change that in fstab if
>you like or you can add the additional partitions to using that style
>and leave the openSUSE partition descriptions as are they are.

>I'm on my Debian box right now, and don't remember what the openSUSE "My
>Computer" equivalent looks like

In 11.1 (and earlier) it looks like a computer screen with Tux sitting
at the right-hand side. It is named "MY Computer" and lists all the
disks the system finds, including Windows disks.

>but IIRC, there's on right there on on
>the desktop. I expect that after you add the partition info to fstab it
>will be able to see them just fine...

--
--- Paul J. Gans
From: VWWall on
Paul J Gans wrote:
> Kevin Miller <atftb2(a)alaska.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm on my Debian box right now, and don't remember what the openSUSE "My
>> Computer" equivalent looks like
>
> In 11.1 (and earlier) it looks like a computer screen with Tux sitting
> at the right-hand side. It is named "MY Computer" and lists all the
> disks the system finds, including Windows disks.

The point is, it only "finds" the Partitions, (disks), that are a part
of its own install or Windows. On most distros I've used, "My Computer"
lists all the partitions on the box, and allows easy mounting.

Adding additional partitions to fstab will show them on "My Computer",
but why not show them by default?

--
Virg Wall
From: VWWall on
Kevin Miller wrote:
> VWWall wrote:
>> Why does openSUSE make it so hard to mount a partition from another
>> Linux distro? I multi-boot four Linux distros, (including openSUSE),
>> and WindowsXP. There are 12 partitions, two for each Linux distro, a
>> boot partition, a Windows partition, and a shared swap partition.
>>
>> I often wish to copy something from one Linux system to another. In
>> most Linux distros there's a "My Computer" or "Systems Media" which
>> shows all partitions, and allows mounting with a simple mouse click.
>>
>> I do know how to mount from the cli, and how to edit fstab to
>> automatically mount partitions. (openSUSE uses
>> "/dev/disk/by-id/scusi-SATA -(drive id)-partx" instead of UUID in
>> fstab), and mounts only its own partitions and some Windows partitions.
>>
>> Am I missing something?
>
> openSUSE is quite happy mounting a partition from another distro.
> You don't have to use the /dev/disk/by-id/ nomenclature. If you prefer
> you can use /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, etc. You can change that in fstab if
> you like or you can add the additional partitions to using that style
> and leave the openSUSE partition descriptions as are they are.

Why not have the default install show all partitions? openSuse shows
all partitions by their approximate size. I have several of the same
size and there's no way to tell which one is which partition.

> I'm on my Debian box right now, and don't remember what the openSUSE "My
> Computer" equivalent looks like but IIRC, there's on right there on on
> the desktop. I expect that after you add the partition info to fstab it
> will be able to see them just fine...

I just edited fstab, mounting /dev/sda12 to /mnt, (a default directory
in "/"), and it did indeed appear in "My Computer" as "17G Media". An
attempt to unmount failed. I can probably sort out the error message,
but this just illustrates my comments above! I could do it neatly by
making sub-directories under /mnt for each added partition in fsab.

See Paul Gans' reply and my comment above. It is possible to make it
show partitions by another identifier than size, but it requires some
extra work.
--
Virg Wall