From: dadiOH on
AdeW wrote:
> My mouse becomes erratic a while after starting computer where the
> pointer disappears into the corners and the context menu is randomly
> activated.

USB mouse? Serial? Wireless? What?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

From: glee on
"AdeW" <adnw14(a)live.co.uk> wrote in message
> My mouse becomes erratic a while after starting computer where the
> pointer disappears into the corners and the context menu is randomly
> activated.
>
> So i use the accessibility mouse which uses the arrows on number pad
> until eventually the keyboard stops responding but accessibility mouse
> on the number pad still works.
>
> I restart the computer and its all fine.
>
> I tried Dr Watson but it just said nothing obviously unusual
>
> Scan reg nothing wrong. Scandisk fine. System file checker just says
> setupx.dll is wrong but i've read its a file not to worry about.
>
> I thought it could be a problem in the internet explorer cache but
> i've had this mouse problem when i had never started IE after
> restarting computer.

What kind of mouse? USB, PS/2, Wireless? Optical or ball-type?
Are third-party (manufacturer) drives installed or standard Windows
mouse drivers?
If third-party, which ones?

Have you tried using a different mouse to test?
Have you tried using your mouse on another computer?
Does the problem happen in Safe Mode?
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+

From: AdeW on
On 23 July, 19:41, "glee" <gle...(a)spamindspring.com> wrote:
> What kind of mouse? USB, PS/2, Wireless?  Optical or ball-type?
> Are third-party (manufacturer) drives installed or standard Windows
> mouse drivers?
> If third-party, which ones?
>
> Have you tried using a different mouse to test?
> Have you tried using your mouse on another computer?
> Does the problem happen in Safe Mode?

Its a ps/2 mouse ball type.

I was thinking because both the keyboard and mouse start working again
when the computer is restarted and that the accessibility mouse keys
on the numberpad still worked that it wasn't a hardware problem? why
is that?

I haven't tried a different mouse yet, but i did read a webpage
suggesting static?

I've not tried the mouse on another computer. Will have to find one.

I did try safe mode for about 10 minutes and no problems. But then
when out of safe mode the mouse has worked fine for a few hours until
it goes wrong.

Its a Genius brand mouse. Seems to use standard drivers vmm32.vxd

When i get back home will have a look if the mouse plug is secure.
From: Buffalo on

AdeW wrote:

> A hard cold reboot is the same as pressing reset isn't it?
No, a hard cold reboot is shutting the computer off and giving the HDD time
to quit spinning before restarting the computer, IMO.
Buffalo
PS:At least in Win98, it was different.

From: AdeW on
On 26 July, 03:47, "Buffalo" <E...(a)nada.com.invalid> wrote:
> AdeW wrote:
>
> > A hard cold reboot is the same as pressing reset isn't it?
>
> No, a hard cold reboot is shutting the computer off and giving the HDD time
> to quit spinning before restarting the computer, IMO.
> Buffalo
> PS:At least in Win98, it was different.

I did scan reg while the mouse pointer was frozen and its fine it
says. Dr watson fine, device manager no problems, then some minutes
later the mouse was working again.

While it was frozen i could still move the pointer with the numeric
keypad.

That was yesterday, today the mouse froze again for five minutes and
then worked.

These are my mouse driver files. Are they all up to date?

mouse.drv modified Friday, April 23, 1999 10:22:00 PM version
9.01.0.000
msmouse.vxd modified Friday, April 23, 1999 10:22:00 PM version
4.10.1998
vmm32.vxd modified Saturday, December 10, 2005 12:59:00 PM