From: AdeW on
My mouse becomes erratic a while after starting computer where the
pointer disappears into the corners and the context menu is randomly
activated.

So i use the accessibility mouse which uses the arrows on number pad
until eventually the keyboard stops responding but accessibility mouse
on the number pad still works.

I restart the computer and its all fine.

I tried Dr Watson but it just said nothing obviously unusual

Scan reg nothing wrong. Scandisk fine. System file checker just says
setupx.dll is wrong but i've read its a file not to worry about.

I thought it could be a problem in the internet explorer cache but
i've had this mouse problem when i had never started IE after
restarting computer.
From: Robert Macy on
On Jul 23, 8:33 am, AdeW <adn...(a)live.co.uk> wrote:
> My mouse becomes erratic a while after starting computer where the
> pointer disappears into the corners and the context menu is randomly
> activated.
>
> So i use the accessibility mouse which uses the arrows on number pad
> until eventually the keyboard stops responding but accessibility mouse
> on the number pad still works.
>
> I restart the computer and its all fine.
>
> I tried Dr Watson but it just said nothing obviously unusual
>
> Scan reg nothing wrong. Scandisk fine. System file checker just says
> setupx.dll is wrong but i've read its a file not to worry about.
>
> I thought it could be a problem in the internet explorer cache but
> i've had this mouse problem when i had never started IE after
> restarting computer.

SAME PROBLEM!!!

This is standard keyboard and standar mouse cabling to dedicated ports

The mouse goes nust, move right, soemthing goes left andhighlights
screens and weird beyond belief. At first thought was, a program
doing it, but today after accidentally bumping the mouse plug, and
itdoesn't feel very secure, and the thing went nuts until reboot; I'm
going to guess that it all stems from some kind of unreliable contact
to the mouse, causes the program to not understandand crass, but the
keyboard keeps working ...sometimes. Sometimes the mouse going nuts
combines with the keyboard going inactive. Again points to unreliable
connection.

The connection is erratic, so after reboot works again.

From: AdeW on
On Jul 23, 10:48 pm, Robert Macy <m...(a)california.com> wrote:
> On Jul 23, 8:33 am, AdeW <adn...(a)live.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > My mouse becomes erratic a while after starting computer where the
> > pointer disappears into the corners and the context menu is randomly
> > activated.
>
> > So i use the accessibility mouse which uses the arrows on number pad
> > until eventually the keyboard stops responding but accessibility mouse
> > on the number pad still works.
>
> > I restart the computer and its all fine.
>
> > I tried Dr Watson but it just said nothing obviously unusual
>
> > Scan reg nothing wrong. Scandisk fine. System file checker just says
> > setupx.dll is wrong but i've read its a file not to worry about.
>
> > I thought it could be a problem in the internet explorer cache but
> > i've had this mouse problem when i had never started IE after
> > restarting computer.
>
> SAME PROBLEM!!!
>
> This is standard keyboard and standar mouse cabling to dedicated ports
>
> The mouse goes nust, move right, soemthing goes left andhighlights
> screens and weird beyond belief.  At first thought was, a program
> doing it, but today after accidentally bumping the mouse plug, and
> itdoesn't feel very secure, and the thing went nuts until reboot; I'm
> going to guess that it all stems from some kind of unreliable contact
> to the mouse, causes the program to not understandand crass, but the
> keyboard keeps working ...sometimes.  Sometimes the mouse going nuts
> combines with the keyboard going inactive.  Again points to unreliable
> connection.
>
> The connection is erratic, so after reboot works again.- Hide quoted text -

I have switched on my home computer after a week of not using it and
get a "Windows mouse support" message before the login dialog box
appears.

"Windows Mouse Support: Windows did not detect a mouse attached to a
computer. You can safely attach a serial mouse now. To attach a mouse
to a PS/2 mouse port, you must first turn the computer off."

I didn't think a serial mouse could be hot swappable.

Atleast the ps/2 keyboard isn't getting confused by the mouse as i've
read it can on wikipedia, so far.

I didn't mention that in one day i did about 4 soft (warm) boots
(restart windows + shift key) and the mouse kept working but just for
shorter periods of time, till eventually the mouse didn't even get
past the log in screen, and thats when i decided to try safe mode, but
then that would have been a hard (cold) boot.

You're saying windows just gets confused by an erratic mouse and so
crashes.

Looking at the ps/2 port it looks secure but i've not touched it yet.

I have had the mouse cable sitting under the modem for months (cos i
didn't like the feeling of the mouse being pulled away from the mouse
mat with the cable dragging on the table edge) so i don't think its a
motherboard problem.

....so i have a theory that my problem is at the point where the cable
meets the mouse. Will have to see and try another mouse. So far I used
the computer for a while and no crashing.
From: AdeW on
On 25 July, 19:59, AdeW <adn...(a)live.co.uk> wrote:
> [...]
> (restart windows + shift key) and the mouse kept working but just for
> shorter periods of time, till eventually the mouse didn't even get
> past the log in screen, and thats when i decided to try safe mode, but
> then that would have been a hard (cold) boot.
>
> You're saying windows just gets confused by an erratic mouse and so
> crashes.
>
> Looking at the ps/2 port it looks secure but i've not touched it yet.
>
> I have had the mouse cable sitting under the modem for months (cos i
> didn't like the feeling of the mouse being pulled away from the mouse
> mat with the cable dragging on the table edge) so i don't think its a
> motherboard problem.
>
> ...so i have a theory that my problem is at the point where the cable
> meets the mouse. Will have to see and try another mouse. So far I used
> the computer for a while and no crashing.- Hide quoted text -

A few hours later and the keyboard stops responding except for the
accessibility mouse keys on the numeric keypad.

System properties has an ! exclamation by the mouse and my usb VGA
dual camera

So I've just 'restarted in MS-DOS mode' and the keyboard works fine in
real DOS mode. Type exit and windows loads again (soft warm boot) same
'windows mouse support' dialog box 'windows did not detect a mouse'.

System properties has an ! exclamation by the mouse only.
From: Dan W on
On 7/25/2010 4:46 PM, AdeW wrote:
> On 25 July, 19:59, AdeW<adn...(a)live.co.uk> wrote:

>>> SAME PROBLEM!!!
>>
>>> This is standard keyboard and standar mouse cabling to dedicated ports
>>
>>> The mouse goes nust, move right, soemthing goes left andhighlights
>>> screens and weird beyond belief. At first thought was, a program
>>> doing it, but today after accidentally bumping the mouse plug, and
>>> itdoesn't feel very secure, and the thing went nuts until reboot; I'm
>>> going to guess that it all stems from some kind of unreliable contact
>>> to the mouse, causes the program to not understandand crass, but the
>>> keyboard keeps working ...sometimes. Sometimes the mouse going nuts
>>> combines with the keyboard going inactive. Again points to unreliable
>>> connection.
>>
>>> The connection is erratic, so after reboot works again.- Hide quoted text -

>> I have switched on my home computer after a week of not using it and
>> get a "Windows mouse support" message before the login dialog box
>> appears.
>>
>> "Windows Mouse Support: Windows did not detect a mouse attached to a
>> computer. You can safely attach a serial mouse now. To attach a mouse
>> to a PS/2 mouse port, you must first turn the computer off."
>>
>> I didn't think a serial mouse could be hot swappable.
>>
>> Atleast the ps/2 keyboard isn't getting confused by the mouse as i've
>> read it can on wikipedia, so far.
>>
>> I didn't mention that in one day i did about 4 soft (warm) boots
>> (restart windows + shift key) and the mouse kept working but just for
>> shorter periods of time, till eventually the mouse didn't even get
>> past the log in screen, and thats when i decided to try safe mode, but
>> then that would have been a hard (cold) boot.
>>
>> You're saying windows just gets confused by an erratic mouse and so
>> crashes.
>>
>> Looking at the ps/2 port it looks secure but i've not touched it yet.
>>
>> I have had the mouse cable sitting under the modem for months (cos i
>> didn't like the feeling of the mouse being pulled away from the mouse
>> mat with the cable dragging on the table edge) so i don't think its a
>> motherboard problem.
>>
>> ...so i have a theory that my problem is at the point where the cable
>> meets the mouse. Will have to see and try another mouse. So far I used
>> the computer for a while and no crashing.- Hide quoted text -

> A few hours later and the keyboard stops responding except for the
> accessibility mouse keys on the numeric keypad.
>
> System properties has an ! exclamation by the mouse and my usb VGA
> dual camera
>
> So I've just 'restarted in MS-DOS mode' and the keyboard works fine in
> real DOS mode. Type exit and windows loads again (soft warm boot) same
> 'windows mouse support' dialog box 'windows did not detect a mouse'.
>
> System properties has an ! exclamation by the mouse only.

It sounds like you need to update your mouse driver(s). They have
become corrupted.