From: AdeW on
On Jul 29, 8:04 am, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
<G6...(a)soft255.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <i2o52i$go...(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Dan W<notha...(a)sorry.cuz> writes:
>
> >Did you download and install new mouse driver(s) for your device.
>
> Unless it has some unusual feature, or you want an unusual software
> function/feature, I thought basic PS/2 mouse working was inherent in
> Windows, from at least 95 (if not 3.x) on?
>
> Has the OP tried another PS/2 mouse? The descriptions sounded to me very
> much like a failing hardware problem (hope in the mouse not the socket).

I've put a cable tie around the table leg for the mouse cable rather
putting the cable under the modem cos i felt it might have been a bit
too close to the mouse when the mouse cable flexes and moves around
the mouse mat.

I am putting off and procrastinating unplugging my mouse from the ps/2
port and trying another (and using my local library PCs).
As you yourself J. P. Gilliver (John) have said about the motherboard

"Sadly, the mouse socket is soldered into the motherboard; as anyone
who's worked on electronics knows, connectors soldered into boards
(at
least right-angle ones) tend to go flaky after a while. A mouse one,
where (however small) flexings of the cable are continuously applied,
is
more likely to go, I suppose. (The keyboard connector is part of the
same structure.) "

Could unplugging and replugging make the soldering to the motherboard
worse?

I do remember when i first switched on the computer in November 2009
(after not using it since May 2007) that i couldn't get past the DOS
Scandisk error message in real DOS because my Memorex keyboard wasn't
responding. Eventually after trying 2 other keyboards (and unplugged
the mouse), i put in the Memorex keyboard again and it worked - I was
never sure if perhaps originally i had just got the mouse and keyboard
port mixed up or that the port itself perhaps had a dry solder joint
or something.

When i did get Windows 98SE loaded though in November 2009 i wrote in
my diary about the mouse right clicking by itself and dragging, but
then the problem went away and i forgot about it until it started
again in recent weeks.

About the mouse drivers, well i suppose the Genius Easymouse has
worked for years without Genius drivers. Why is it that one needs to
update mouse drivers isn't it a fairly simple piece of software which
worked throughout the 1990s?

Windows 98 doesn't have a rollback feature like in XP incase when
changing drivers something goes wrong, unless someone knows how.

I was trying to find a webpage with Google which shows up my drivers
are up to date and tells the version number or date, but not much luck
so far. Anyone know of such a website?

mouse.drv modified Friday, April 23, 1999 10:22:00
PM version 9.01.0.000

msmouse.vxd modified Friday, April 23, 1999 10:22:00 PM
version 4.10.1998

vmm32.vxd modified Saturday, December 10, 2005 12:59:00 PM
From: Robert Macy on
On Jul 29, 9:56 am, AdeW <adn...(a)live.co.uk> wrote:
> [...]
> again in recent weeks.
>
> About the mouse drivers, well i suppose the Genius Easymouse has
> worked for years without Genius drivers. Why is it that one needs to
> update mouse drivers isn't it a fairly simple piece of software which
> worked throughout the 1990s?
>
> Windows 98 doesn't have a rollback feature like in XP incase when
> changing drivers something goes wrong, unless someone knows how.
>
> I was trying to find a webpage with Google which shows up my drivers
> are up to date and tells the version number or date, but not much luck
> so far. Anyone know of such a website?
>
> mouse.drv          modified Friday, April 23, 1999 10:22:00
> PM          version 9.01.0.000
>
> msmouse.vxd     modified Friday, April 23, 1999 10:22:00 PM
> version 4.10.1998
>
> vmm32.vxd         modified Saturday, December 10, 2005 12:59:00 PM

Left apart long time, not work, then work!

Could be something as simple as oxidized connections.

Problem here with that. Leave metal exposed and connections fail.

All the push button switches on ALL the electronics don't work. Even
the adjustment switches on the monitors.

Could be you just need a good contact cleaner and reseat all your
connections.

If it is a broken cable, you'll have to replace anyway, so nothing is
lost.