From: Florian Diesch on
unruh <unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> writes:

> ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.]
> On 2009-12-03, Robert Heller <heller(a)deepsoft.com> wrote:
>> At Wed, 02 Dec 2009 23:21:29 GMT unruh <unruh-spam(a)physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
>>

>>> I need to convert a movie file (.mov) to a set of individual frame in
>>> tiff format for making measurements from the frames for an experiment we
>>> are running. How can I do this? (I run Mandriva if that makes any
>>> difference).
>>
>> mplayer can do that (not to tiff directly, but as indivual frams of
>> jpeg, pnm, png, or tga files, which in turn can be converted with
>> ImageMagicK's convert program to tiff).
>
> OK, will look into that. If you have a hint as to which options I need
> to tickle I would appreciate it.

mplayer -vo png/tga/jpeg

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/software/pdfrecycle/>
From: Rikishi42 on
On 2009-12-02, unruh <unruh-spam(a)physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
> I need to convert a movie file (.mov) to a set of individual frame in
> tiff format for making measurements from the frames for an experiment we
> are running. How can I do this? (I run Mandriva if that makes any
> difference).

Use the following to extract the video.mov to jpg frames:
mplayer video.mov -vo jpeg

Use the following to extract 1000 frames from the 1178'th second.
mplayer video.mov -ss 1178 -frames 1000 -vo jpeg

If jpg's are not usefull, you can convert them to tiff with convert.

See 'man mplayer' and 'man convert'.

Convert is part of ImageMagic. You might need to install that, first.

--
Any time things appear to be going better, you have overlooked
something.
From: Robert Heller on
At Thu, 03 Dec 2009 02:51:05 GMT unruh <unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:

> ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.]
> On 2009-12-03, Robert Heller <heller(a)deepsoft.com> wrote:
> > At Wed, 02 Dec 2009 23:21:29 GMT unruh <unruh-spam(a)physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
> >

> >> I need to convert a movie file (.mov) to a set of individual frame in
> >> tiff format for making measurements from the frames for an experiment we
> >> are running. How can I do this? (I run Mandriva if that makes any
> >> difference).
> >
> > mplayer can do that (not to tiff directly, but as indivual frams of
> > jpeg, pnm, png, or tga files, which in turn can be converted with
> > ImageMagicK's convert program to tiff).
>
> OK, will look into that. If you have a hint as to which options I need
> to tickle I would appreciate it.

man mplayer
man convert
man bash

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
heller(a)deepsoft.com -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

From: unruh on
On 2009-12-03, Florian Diesch <diesch(a)spamfence.net> wrote:
> unruh <unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> writes:
>
>> ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.]

>>> mplayer can do that (not to tiff directly, but as indivual frams of
>>> jpeg, pnm, png, or tga files, which in turn can be converted with
>>> ImageMagicK's convert program to tiff).
>>
>> OK, will look into that. If you have a hint as to which options I need
>> to tickle I would appreciate it.
>
> mplayer -vo png/tga/jpeg

Thanks. I did finally find the png/jpeg/.., options in that huge list of
mplayer options but thanks.

From: unruh on
On 2009-12-03, Rikishi42 <skunkworks(a)rikishi42.net> wrote:
> On 2009-12-02, unruh <unruh-spam(a)physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
>> I need to convert a movie file (.mov) to a set of individual frame in
>> tiff format for making measurements from the frames for an experiment we
>> are running. How can I do this? (I run Mandriva if that makes any
>> difference).
>
> Use the following to extract the video.mov to jpg frames:
> mplayer video.mov -vo jpeg
>
> Use the following to extract 1000 frames from the 1178'th second.
> mplayer video.mov -ss 1178 -frames 1000 -vo jpeg
>

> If jpg's are not usefull, you can convert them to tiff with convert.
>
> See 'man mplayer' and 'man convert'.
>
> Convert is part of ImageMagic. You might need to install that, first.

Since one of the purposes is to do measurements on the frame for a
scientific experiment I do not want layers of lossy compression so I
would probably use png. . How are the frames stored in a .mov file? I
assume that they are probably stored with some sort of lossy
compression.

..mov movie frames stored