From: Anita on
"unruh" <unruh-spam(a)physics.ubc.ca> wrote in message

> I need to convert a movie file (.mov) to a set of individual frame in
> tiff format for making measurements from the frames for an experiment we
> are running. How can I do this? (I run Mandriva if that makes any
> difference).

Easily done if you have mplayer and ImageMagick installed. You can make the
following far more elegant by reading the man pages, but just to get you
started:

mkdir jpeg; mkdir tiff
cd jpeg
mplayer -vo jpeg /path/to/filename.mov
for i in *.jpg
do
convert $i ../tiff/${i%%.jpg}.tif 2 >/dev/null
done
# file ../tiff/*.tif

From: unruh on
On 2009-12-03, Anita <me(a)invalid.com> wrote:
> "unruh" <unruh-spam(a)physics.ubc.ca> wrote in message
>
>> I need to convert a movie file (.mov) to a set of individual frame in
>> tiff format for making measurements from the frames for an experiment we
>> are running. How can I do this? (I run Mandriva if that makes any
>> difference).
>
> Easily done if you have mplayer and ImageMagick installed. You can make the
> following far more elegant by reading the man pages, but just to get you
> started:
>
> mkdir jpeg; mkdir tiff
> cd jpeg
> mplayer -vo jpeg /path/to/filename.mov
> for i in *.jpg
> do
> convert $i ../tiff/${i%%.jpg}.tif 2 >/dev/null
> done
> # file ../tiff/*.tif

Thanks. Since we are making measurments on the frames, I suspect it
would be better to convert to png (lossless compression) rather than
jpeg, unless the files are stored as jpg, and mplayer simply copies the
frames. Also only need a narrow slice of the picture, but I assume
mplayer cannot do that ( ie crop down to some small slice) while it is
copying out the frames. I can certainly do that with convert, but the
intermediate files are going to far larger than they need to be (slowing
down the conversion time).
(Ie, on the 1080p (1960x1080) frame we really only need a 1960x50 slice of the
frame to do the measurements on.

From: spike1 on
And verily, didst unruh <unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> hastily babble thusly:
> Thanks. Since we are making measurments on the frames, I suspect it
> would be better to convert to png (lossless compression) rather than
> jpeg, unless the files are stored as jpg, and mplayer simply copies the
> frames. Also only need a narrow slice of the picture, but I assume
> mplayer cannot do that ( ie crop down to some small slice) while it is
> copying out the frames. I can certainly do that with convert, but the
> intermediate files are going to far larger than they need to be (slowing
> down the conversion time).
> (Ie, on the 1080p (1960x1080) frame we really only need a 1960x50 slice of the
> frame to do the measurements on.

Don't think mplayer can crop, you'd need to use mencoder for that (mplayer's
sister app), or transcode.
--
| spike1(a)freenet.co.uk | |
From: jellybean stonerfish on
On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 19:55:57 +0000, unruh wrote:

> Also only need a narrow slice of the picture, but I assume
> mplayer cannot do that ( ie crop down to some small slice) while it is
> copying out the frames.

Look for crop under "VIDEO FILTERS" in the mplayer manpage.

mplayer -vo png -vf crop=150:20:50:50 path/to/video
From: Anita on
"unruh" <unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote in message

> Thanks. Since we are making measurments on the frames, I suspect it
> would be better to convert to png (lossless compression) rather than
> jpeg, unless the files are stored as jpg, and mplayer simply copies the
> frames. Also only need a narrow slice of the picture, but I assume
> mplayer cannot do that ( ie crop down to some small slice) while it is
> copying out the frames. I can certainly do that with convert, but the
> intermediate files are going to far larger than they need to be (slowing
> down the conversion time).
> (Ie, on the 1080p (1960x1080) frame we really only need a 1960x50 slice of
the
> frame to do the measurements on.

It begs the question: precisely what "measuremenst" are required?