From: raz4183 on
We have exchange 2003 SP2 on a Windows 2003 Enterprise server.
All I want to do is move the Public Folders database files to a new drive on
the same server. Is it as simple as dismounting the Public Folder Store,
copying the database files and pasting them to the new drive, pointing the
Public Store to the database file locations on the new drive, and then
mounting the store? The Transaction logs are remaining in their current
location - they are not being moved.
Would there be anything more to it then that, anything I'm missing?
From: Mark Arnold [MVP] on
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 08:15:01 -0800, raz4183
<raz4183(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>We have exchange 2003 SP2 on a Windows 2003 Enterprise server.
>All I want to do is move the Public Folders database files to a new drive on
>the same server. Is it as simple as dismounting the Public Folder Store,
>copying the database files and pasting them to the new drive, pointing the
>Public Store to the database file locations on the new drive, and then
>mounting the store? The Transaction logs are remaining in their current
>location - they are not being moved.
>Would there be anything more to it then that, anything I'm missing?

God no.
Go to the properties of the store and then browse to the new location.
Exchange will do all the work for you.
Don't, ever, move stuff yourself.
From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 13:08:25 -0500, "Mark Arnold [MVP]"
<mark(a)mvps.org> wrote:

>On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 08:15:01 -0800, raz4183
><raz4183(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>We have exchange 2003 SP2 on a Windows 2003 Enterprise server.
>>All I want to do is move the Public Folders database files to a new drive on
>>the same server. Is it as simple as dismounting the Public Folder Store,
>>copying the database files and pasting them to the new drive, pointing the
>>Public Store to the database file locations on the new drive, and then
>>mounting the store? The Transaction logs are remaining in their current
>>location - they are not being moved.
>>Would there be anything more to it then that, anything I'm missing?
>
>God no.
>Go to the properties of the store and then browse to the new location.
>Exchange will do all the work for you.
>Don't, ever, move stuff yourself.

Amen!

I think I've had to do this "by hand" once or twice over the last 14
years. The reasons are so obscure I don't even recall what they were.
IIRC, the problems that follow were that the log files were stamped
with the wrong database location. Not a big deal if you're starting a
new log file sequence but kinda awkward otherwise. :-)
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP