From: deeceembee on
I have been giving the task of moving an ASP.NET intranet site from an SBS
2003 server running IIS6 to a SBS2008 server running IIS7. I know very
little about this intranet site and would like as much assistance as
possible. Things I need to know are what is the best editor to edit content
of this site after the move. I have tried Visual Web Developer, also
Microsoft Expressions and Sharepoint designer. The problem I had with VWD
was that it required Frontpage Extensions. When I installed Front page
extensions I had to extend the website using Sharepoint Administrator and
then VWD said it cannot edit a Sharepoint Site. I had the same problem with
Expressions. Frontpage 2003 will allow me tro edit the site but I have the
problem with the code behind files not being regenerated. One issue I have
is that there are code behind files containing a database connection string
in some web form designer generated code and I need to find out how to get
this code regenerated. The connection string seems to be specified in the
web.config file but it is repeated throughout the site in the code behind
files web form designer generated code and I need to force this code to be
updated. I am also having issues getting the site to accept Windows
Authentication. Any help will be gratefully received.
From: Brian Cryer on
"deeceembee" <deeceembee(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been giving the task of moving an ASP.NET intranet site from an SBS
> 2003 server running IIS6 to a SBS2008 server running IIS7. I know very
> little about this intranet site and would like as much assistance as
> possible. Things I need to know are what is the best editor to edit
> content
> of this site after the move. I have tried Visual Web Developer, also
> Microsoft Expressions and Sharepoint designer. The problem I had with VWD
> was that it required Frontpage Extensions. When I installed Front page
> extensions I had to extend the website using Sharepoint Administrator and
> then VWD said it cannot edit a Sharepoint Site. I had the same problem
> with
> Expressions. Frontpage 2003 will allow me tro edit the site but I have
> the
> problem with the code behind files not being regenerated. One issue I
> have
> is that there are code behind files containing a database connection
> string
> in some web form designer generated code and I need to find out how to get
> this code regenerated. The connection string seems to be specified in the
> web.config file but it is repeated throughout the site in the code behind
> files web form designer generated code and I need to force this code to be
> updated. I am also having issues getting the site to accept Windows
> Authentication. Any help will be gratefully received.

Take a big step back:

1. Do you know what software was originally used to develop this ASP.NET
site? You will probably find it much simpler to use the same software.

I don't know anything about Sharepoint designer, but Visual Web Develper and
FrontPage are not suitable for editing .NET code. Microsoft Expression Web
sort of can I think but to a limited extend at best as its really for
editing HTML. So the originally might have been with Expression, but its not
a tool I would use for this. I would expect it to be Visual Studio 2003,
2005 or possibly 2008 or perhaps a third party developer tool such as
Delphi.NET, but it could be something else ...

2. The code behind files are generated from other source files which you may
well not have on the server. For example I develop mostly with VB.NET, so
for each page I'm working with a .aspx and a .aspx.vb file. When this gets
compiled and copied to the server the .aspx.vb file is compiled and removed.
So if someone else had access to the server they can't see my original
source files.

So, I'm assuming you have a collection of .aspx files, but for each of these
there should be another file such as .aspx.vb or .aspx.c#. Do you have the
original source files?

You will need ALL of the above (right tools and right files) to be able to
recompile the site.

If you are just interested in porting it then you might be able to get away
with simply:

1. Copying EVERYTHING to the 2008 server.
2. Set it up under IIS, but I don't think there is any big deal there.
3. Edit web.config and if you are really lucky then this is where the
database connection is defined that you referred to. If it is in there then
you should be able to re-point it to wherever the database is.

I think this is a long shot, and you really need to ensure that you have the
source files and are using the right tools.

I hope this puts you on the right path. Sorry I can't help further.
--
Brian Cryer
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian