From: JonB on

Hi,

Looks like we may have to create some software here to move queue
files/jobs between queues... I've look at the code in 'contrib' and
none of it really does what we need.

With that in mind it looks like all that's required to 'move' a
message to a different queue is:

Open the qfXXXXXXXX file.
Try to flock() / fnctl() the file exclusive.
If you don't get the lock ... sendmail is procesing it .. so close
the file and skip it.

If you get a lock, you can then move the qfXXXXXXXXXX file and
dfXXXXXXXXX file to their new resting place, and unlock the file.

I've seen mentioned things about hard links in the mail queue -
checking on our servers there are no hard linked files (ie. "find . -
links +1" returns nothing).

Are hard links not used in the mail queues any more? - Or off by
default or similar or am I confused - and theyve never been an issue?

The software we're writing won't move files between devices - but will
move the files between queues, so I guess that would probably be OK
anyway.

Does the above seem sane?

Thanks

-Jon
From: Claus Aßmann on
JonB wrote:

> Looks like we may have to create some software here to move queue
> files/jobs between queues... I've look at the code in 'contrib' and
> none of it really does what we need.

QTOOL(8) QTOOL(8)

NAME
qtool - manipulate sendmail queues

SYNOPSIS
qtool.pl [options] target_directory source [source ...]

qtool.pl [-Q][-d|-b] [options] source [source ...]

DESCRIPTION
Qtool moves the queue files used by sendmail between
queues. It uses the same locking mechanism as sendmail so

Why doesn't that fit your needs?
From: JonB on
On Feb 19, 1:38 am, Claus Aßmann <ca+sendmail(-no-copies-
please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote:
> JonB  wrote:
> > Looks like we may have to create some software here to move queue
> > files/jobs between queues... I've look at the code in 'contrib' and
> > none of it really does what we need.
>
> QTOOL(8)                                                 QTOOL(8)
>
> NAME
>        qtool - manipulate sendmail queues
>
> SYNOPSIS
>        qtool.pl [options] target_directory source [source ...]
>
>        qtool.pl [-Q][-d|-b] [options] source [source ...]
>
> DESCRIPTION
>        Qtool  moves  the  queue  files  used  by sendmail between
>        queues. It uses the same locking mechanism as sendmail  so
>
> Why doesn't that fit your needs?

Having looked at it again - it might - I'm sure I read somewhere it
doesn't support seperate qf/df directories, i.e.

queue1/df/dfXXXXXXXXX
queue1/qf/qfXXXXXXXXX

-Jon