From: Joe on
Hi,

I am trying to learn about POP3 servers. Sorry for wasting bandwidth
with a stupid question, but I am fairly new and naive on Internet
topics...

I found this toy POP3 server: http://code.activestate.com/recipes/534131.
I start that server on my Windows XP machine:
python pop_server.py 110 message.txt
and I get:
pypopper INFO - pypopper POP3 serving 'message.txt' on localhost:
110

I then try to have my gmail account retrieve my "mail" (= the contents
of message.txt) on that server. In order to do that, in gmail, I
select "Settings", then "Accounts and Import", then "Add POP3 email
account". I am then presented with a form, where I have to give:
* Username
* Password
* POP Server

As you can see from http://code.activestate.com/recipes/534131,
function handleUser() is defined as:
def handleUser(data, msg):
return "+OK user accepted"
so I suppose that username could be anything.

Function handlePass() is defined as:
def handlePass(data, msg):
return "+OK pass accepted"
so I suppose that password could also be anything.

But what about the POP server name? I tried pypopper.<my IP address>,
but that didn't work ("There was a problem connecting to pypopper.<my
IP address>").

Any idea?
From: Thor Kottelin on
"Joe" <dude.joe749(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> But what about the POP server name? I tried pypopper.<my IP address>,
> but that didn't work ("There was a problem connecting to pypopper.<my
> IP address>").

Try just your IP address (or its FQDN, if one exists).

Also ensure that there is no firewall or other obstacle to incoming
connections on port 110/tcp.

Follow-ups set.

--
Thor Kottelin
http://www.anta.net/

From: Joe on
Hi,

> Try just your IP address (or its FQDN, if one exists).
>
> Also ensure that there is no firewall or other obstacle to incoming
> connections on port 110/tcp.

I am not allowed to disable the firewall on my PC (which is actually
my company's PC) even though I have admin rights...

gmail allows to connect to POP servers that listen to one of these
ports: 109, 110, 143, 220, 993, 995, 1110 and 2221. Ports 109, 110,
143, 220, 993 and 995 don't work, but 1110 does!

Many thanks!

Antoine
From: Joe on
Hi,