From: Siz on
I have built a duplicate remote distributor server and I am trying to move
the distribution database to the server without breaking the existing
replication but I am having a few problems.

This was the steps I followed.

Original remote Distributer called SQLDIST1

1. Built and configured a SQL Server called SQLDIST2 with base install of
SQL2008 Ent
2. Shut Down SQLDIST1
3. Renamed SQLDIST2 to SQLDIST1 including sp_addserver stuff (all good so far)
4. Restored master database, then msdb and then Distributor from original
SQLDIST1 to new SQLDIST2 (note I did not enable the new server for
Distribution, just restored the databases as after restoring master I could
see a Distribution database entry and I figured all the config is in the
system tables anayway)
5. Trans Replication now working from the publisher. I inserted a few rows
and these were replicated.
6. however heres the screwy bit. Replication Montior not allowing me to
register the Puiblisher properly. I can see the Log Reader and snapshot
agents in ReplMon but cannot see the distribution agent.

I do not trust the end result. Also cannot find any article on the net with
regards to migrating, recovering from a disaster of the distribution database!

Any help please?

thanks