From: Aditi on
Hi,

I have a question about the multi-function pins in Spartan-6 FPGA
(XC6SLX9).
I would like to know if I can use the D0-D15 and A0-A25 config pins as
general purpose IO pins
because I am using a serial PROM to program the FPGA and so will not
use BPI mode.
I have read about the pins and I just want to be sure of that.

Also. another question, the GCLK pins : can they be used as output
when needed for clocks (clock outputs) ?
This is needed in my design. I need some clock outputs from the FPGA
to some other modules. The GCLK pin description says they are Input if
they are used as clocks.

Aditi.
From: Andy Peters on
On Apr 5, 10:37 am, Aditi <aditi.gro...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question about the multi-function pins in Spartan-6 FPGA
> (XC6SLX9).
> I would like to know if I can use the D0-D15 and A0-A25 config pins as
> general purpose IO pins
> because I am using a serial PROM to program the FPGA and so will not
> use BPI mode.
> I have read about the pins and I just want to be sure of that.

Yes, you can use those pins as you wish,

> Also. another question, the GCLK pins : can they be used as output
> when needed for clocks (clock outputs) ?

A clock output is no different from any other output, so you can use
any output pin you like. Note that you may want to use the DDR flop
for output clock forwarding (it's in the data sheet somewhere). Also,
you can use your clock output with an external feedback trace and a
DCM to ensure that your clock arrives at the destination when you want
it to.

-a