From: Gary Lynch on
+------+ I am looking for an economical way to measure
| _|_ terminal voltages of individual SLA batteries
--- | ? | in a stack up to 72 packs high. Atmel & Linear
= |___| Technology make products that ALMOST do
+------+ terminals to steal power, serial output with
+------+ etc--but tout them only for Li-Ion technology.
| _|_ It appears they cannot straddle a potential
--- | ? | greater than 5 V.
= |___|
| | I read another post that claimed for a low-end
+------+ appliances such as mine, it was cheaper to
: replace the batteries every 3 years than to
: watch for 'slackers.'
+------+
| _|_ Any other ideas?
--- | ? |
= |___| Thanks.
| |
+------+
Gary Lynch To send mail, change no$pam
gary.lynch(a)no$pam.com in my domain name to ieee.

From: PeterD on
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 07:15:53 -0400, Gary Lynch <bookworm(a)execpc.com>
wrote:

> +------+ I am looking for an economical way to measure
> | _|_ terminal voltages of individual SLA batteries
>--- | ? | in a stack up to 72 packs high. Atmel & Linear
> = |___| Technology make products that ALMOST do
> | | this--allow direct connect to battery
> +------+ terminals to steal power, serial output with
> | level shifting so they can be cascaded,
> +------+ etc--but tout them only for Li-Ion technology.
> | _|_ It appears they cannot straddle a potential
>--- | ? | greater than 5 V.
> = |___|
> | | I read another post that claimed for a low-end
> +------+ appliances such as mine, it was cheaper to
> : replace the batteries every 3 years than to
> : watch for 'slackers.'
> +------+
> | _|_ Any other ideas?
>--- | ? |
> = |___| Thanks.
> | |
> +------+
>Gary Lynch To send mail, change no$pam
>gary.lynch(a)no$pam.com in my domain name to ieee.

I guess when you say 'pack' you are referring to a multi-cell battery
(12 Volts?)

Why not just off-set the Atmel device by 7 to 10 volts or so? 3
From: John Devereux on
Gary Lynch <bookworm(a)execpc.com> writes:

> +------+ I am looking for an economical way to measure
> | _|_ terminal voltages of individual SLA batteries
> --- | ? | in a stack up to 72 packs high. Atmel & Linear
> = |___| Technology make products that ALMOST do
> | | this--allow direct connect to battery
> +------+ terminals to steal power, serial output with
> | level shifting so they can be cascaded,
> +------+ etc--but tout them only for Li-Ion technology.
> | _|_ It appears they cannot straddle a potential
> --- | ? | greater than 5 V.
> = |___|
> | | I read another post that claimed for a low-end
> +------+ appliances such as mine, it was cheaper to
> : replace the batteries every 3 years than to
> : watch for 'slackers.'
> +------+
> | _|_ Any other ideas?
> --- | ? |
> = |___| Thanks.
> | |
> +------+
> Gary Lynch To send mail, change no$pam
> gary.lynch(a)no$pam.com in my domain name to ieee.

Hi Gary,

So is that 72x12V batteries?

What sort of accuracy do you need on the measured voltage?

--

John Devereux
From: Paul Keinanen on
wrote:

> +------+ I am looking for an economical way to measure
> | _|_ terminal voltages of individual SLA batteries
>--- | ? | in a stack up to 72 packs high. Atmel & Linear
> = |___| Technology make products that ALMOST do
> | | this--allow direct connect to battery
> +------+ terminals to steal power, serial output with
> | level shifting so they can be cascaded,
> +------+ etc--but tout them only for Li-Ion technology.
> | _|_ It appears they cannot straddle a potential
>--- | ? | greater than 5 V.
> = |___|
> | | I read another post that claimed for a low-end
> +------+ appliances such as mine, it was cheaper to
> : replace the batteries every 3 years than to
> : watch for 'slackers.'
> +------+
> | _|_ Any other ideas?
>--- | ? |
> = |___| Thanks.
> | |
> +------+
>Gary Lynch To send mail, change no$pam
>gary.lynch(a)no$pam.com in my domain name to ieee.

How much can you load those batteries ?

How about a voltage divider across each 12 V battery, producing a
voltage less than 5 V ?

The voltage divider could consist of a 7 V zener (the upper leg) and a
resistor (the lower leg), thus the battery voltage swing would go into
the IC without attenuation..

From: Jim Thompson on
wrote:

> +------+ I am looking for an economical way to measure
> | _|_ terminal voltages of individual SLA batteries
>--- | ? | in a stack up to 72 packs high. Atmel & Linear
> = |___| Technology make products that ALMOST do
> | | this--allow direct connect to battery
> +------+ terminals to steal power, serial output with
> | level shifting so they can be cascaded,
> +------+ etc--but tout them only for Li-Ion technology.
> | _|_ It appears they cannot straddle a potential
>--- | ? | greater than 5 V.
> = |___|
> | | I read another post that claimed for a low-end
> +------+ appliances such as mine, it was cheaper to
> : replace the batteries every 3 years than to
> : watch for 'slackers.'
> +------+
> | _|_ Any other ideas?
>--- | ? |
> = |___| Thanks.
> | |
> +------+
>Gary Lynch To send mail, change no$pam
>gary.lynch(a)no$pam.com in my domain name to ieee.

Once upon a time � I designed (for California Micro Devices) a LiIon
charge/discharge controller that tested and equalized all the cells
(3) in a pak. I think it's used internally in present-day LiIon paks.

I have previously posted the back-to-back PMOS current-direction
controller that was used.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |