From: David Magda on
On Jul 10, 2010, at 11:25, Mark Fox wrote:

> I've read that Samba can be given multiple netbios names and multiple
> configuration files to achieve something like what we want. But the
> posts
> were very old. Has anything changed? Is there a better way to
> achieve what
> we want now? Maybe what we want really isn't what want.

See smb.conf(5):

socket address (G)
This option allows you to control what address Samba
will listen
for connections on. This is used to support
multiple virtual
interfaces on the one server, each with a different
configura-
tion.

By default Samba will accept connections on any address.

Default: socket address =

Example: socket address = 192.168.2.20

So you could have multiple configuration files, each configured to
listen on a different port. You'd have also probably have multiple
start up scripts for each instance that used the different config
file. From smbd(8):

-s <configuration file>
The file specified contains the configuration details
required by
the server. The information in this file includes server-
specific
information such as what printcap file to use, as well as
descrip-
tions of all the services that the server is to
provide. See
smb.conf for more information. The default configuration
file name
is determined at compile time.

Similar start-up scripts would be needed for nmbd(8). See also
winbindd(8).

I'm not quite sure what problem you're trying to solve though. Why do
you need the server listening on each subnet directly? And why the
different names, do you have different domains? You can tell clients
about the server with the "netbios-name-servers", "netbios-dd-server",
and "netbios-node-type" ISC DHCP options.

You can forward DHCP requests from each subnet to a central server via
an IP helper, which is a standard options on all router devices.

Your Samba, DHCP, DNS, and mail servers could then all live in their
own VLAN on a "server subnet".

P. S. Personally, I find it easiest to use /24s to break up networks.
It's easier for others to understand and easier to do "CIDR math"
then /23s or /25s. :)