From: Josh on
Hello all,

How can I set my environment up so that a user enters a name into
their browser, it goes to a web application? For example: if my web
application is named ABC, I'd like my users to enter "ABC" into the
web browser and be directed to the proper web application. There are
two environments that are setup differently. In our production
environment, the web application is setup on it's own port and users
access it via a redirect from port 80. In our developement
environment, there are multiple instances of the same web application
on the same port. In both environments, users access the individual
instances via <server name>\<instance>.

I've setup host hearders but neither seem to work as both environments
require the <instance> information in the URL.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'd like to avoid re-setting IIS for
these environments, but if it needs to be done, what is the best way?

Bonus points: How can I hide the port number in the URL?

Environment: 2x2K3 IIS instances and 2K8 w/ DNS and AD services.
From: Mirek on
Hello,

Do you have properly set DNS server, so that both ABC and DEF hostname piont
to IP of your IIS machine?
If so, setting header in IIS should work.

Miroslav