From: Mok-Kong Shen on
Mok-Kong Shen wrote:

[snip]
> A bit OT: I presume that Pdf, ps, Latex etc. files could also be
> modified to contain stego without too much difficulty. .......

There is a recent paper concerning stego with PDF files:

I.-S. Lee, W.-H. Tsai, A new approach to covert communication via
PDF files. Signal Processing, vol.90, Feb. 2010.

(There is no typo above with '2010'. I had the hard copies of the
Jan. and the Feb. 2010 issue of the journal in my hand.)

M. K. Shen
From: Mok-Kong Shen on
Milen Rangelov wrote:

> MP3-based steganography must be a better idea :)

For those interested in MP3: There is now a product MXP4, which seems
to be technically an advancement over MP3. See http://mxp4.com/

M. K. Shen
From: Mok-Kong Shen on
Mok-Kong Shen wrote:
[snip]
> It seems to me that stego with sound files may have advantages over
> stego with image files. For with the modern camera techniques,
> pictures have barely random defects and so modifications would be
> subject to easier detection, while sound recordings (excepting ones
> that are done in special studios for the production of commercial CDs)
> contain in general always some ambient noise, which may render the
> decision between presence of stego or non-presence rather difficult.

I learned however that computer arts, in that no such comparisons
can be done, each piece being originally created by the artist/user
with (rather arbitrary) creativity, could apparently offer quite
some advantages as carriers of stego, since they could easily adapt
to external constraints, if required. [1]

M. K. Shen

[1] Some titles on computer arts:
B. Wands, Art of the ditital age. Thomas & Hudson, 2003.
C. Mason, Computer in the art room. JJG Publishing, 2008.
K. Guminski, Kunst am Computer. Reimer Verlag, 2002. (Thesis, LMU)
C. Kl�tsch, Computergraphik. Springer, 2007.
From: Spinner on
Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.shen(a)t-online.de> wrote:

>Mok-Kong Shen wrote:
>[snip]
>> It seems to me that stego with sound files may have advantages over
>> stego with image files. For with the modern camera techniques,
>> pictures have barely random defects and so modifications would be
>> subject to easier detection, while sound recordings (excepting ones
>> that are done in special studios for the production of commercial CDs)
>> contain in general always some ambient noise, which may render the
>> decision between presence of stego or non-presence rather difficult.
>
>I learned however that computer arts, in that no such comparisons
>can be done, each piece being originally created by the artist/user
>with (rather arbitrary) creativity, could apparently offer quite
>some advantages as carriers of stego, since they could easily adapt
>to external constraints, if required. [1]
>
>M. K. Shen

That's not even english. The words are, but nothing else is. I'm
pretty sure our M. Shen is trolling again.
--
2+2!=5 even for extremely large values of 2
From: Mok-Kong Shen on
Spinner wrote:

> That's not even english.

I suppose in a group that is not dedicated to discussions on languages
one could be a little bit tolerant about foreigners' poor English (if
one notes that 'english' is also not English).

M. K. Shen