From: Mark Fox on
So I've looked into this in a bit more detail. Recap: My Network Places
doesn't function properly when a profile is stored on a Samba machine. Newly
created network places act properly for a short while but, after a time or
after logging out and in again, act like ordinary folders that contain a
short-cut and a desktop.ini file.

I've now confirmed that this happens from several workstations, including a
virgin Windows XP Pro install joined to the domain. I've also confirmed this
on several different servers, but all running similar Ubuntu server
installs.

I'd really like to know if everybody sees this behaviour or if I'm in the
minority.

Browsing side-by-side to the Nethood directory on a workgroup workstation
and a domain workstation, I see a short-cut on the workgroup workstation
(ie. no Sharing, Security, or Customize tabs, and just a type, target,
creation date, and a comment shown in properties), but a folder on the
domain workstation. What I'm seeing on the workgroup workstation is
completely local and doesn't involve Samba at all. On the domain
workstation, the profile is has come from the Samba server.

Some special attributes must be getting lost when the short-cut is being
stored by Samba. Unfortunately (at least, for this problem), Windows
file-systems are not something I'm incredibly knowledgeable on.

Any ideas?

Mark