From: Thorsten Kiefer on
Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:

> Thorsten Kiefer wrote:
>
>> Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:
>>
>>> Or maybe you're just taken too few sample points. It should be b>=2.
>>>
>> Of course I took 7 sample points (n=0,2,4,6,8,10,12), and it shows 1.2 <=
>> b <= 1.3 .
>
> Your values for n are too low, your sample points too dense. Try n=24,
> n=32, n=36, n=40 and see how you 'b' jumps high.

OK, I assume b=1.3 and n = 24. According to my formula this will take
24s * 1.3^24 = 13027s = 3.6 hours.

I'll will try that. Maybe I can give you the result tomorrow.

From: Peter Pearson on
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 01:06:35 +0100, Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:
> Thorsten Kiefer wrote:
>
>> I added the clauses for the plaintext, ciphertext and all 128 clauses of the key.
>> It takes 24 seconds to solve this.
>> Then I remove the key-clauses and insert only 126 clauses of the key.
>> This takes 30 seconds to solve.
>> Then I remove the key-clauses and insert only 116 clauses of the key.
>> This takes 617 seconds to solve.
>>
>> If you assume the formula a*b^n for the time complexity, then you can find:
>> time(n) = 24 * 1.2^n, where n is the number of missing key-clauses(/bits).
>
> Or maybe you're just taken too few sample points. It should be b>=2.
>
>> Unfortunately my favorite SAT-solver is stochastic an therefore the time(n)-formula
>> is not totally reliable.
>>
>> Is this more interesting now ?
>
> No.

Hey, don't be so grumpy. It is, too, interesting. Keep at it, TK.

From: Thorsten Kiefer on
Peter Pearson wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 01:06:35 +0100, Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:
>> Thorsten Kiefer wrote:
>>
>>> I added the clauses for the plaintext, ciphertext and all 128 clauses of
>>> the key. It takes 24 seconds to solve this.
>>> Then I remove the key-clauses and insert only 126 clauses of the key.
>>> This takes 30 seconds to solve.
>>> Then I remove the key-clauses and insert only 116 clauses of the key.
>>> This takes 617 seconds to solve.
>>>
>>> If you assume the formula a*b^n for the time complexity, then you can
>>> find: time(n) = 24 * 1.2^n, where n is the number of missing
>>> key-clauses(/bits).
>>
>> Or maybe you're just taken too few sample points. It should be b>=2.
>>
>>> Unfortunately my favorite SAT-solver is stochastic an therefore the
>>> time(n)-formula is not totally reliable.
>>>
>>> Is this more interesting now ?
>>
>> No.
>
> Hey, don't be so grumpy. It is, too, interesting. Keep at it, TK.

WILL DO SO !!!!! ;-))))

From: Thorsten Kiefer on
Peter Pearson wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 01:06:35 +0100, Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:
>> Thorsten Kiefer wrote:
>>
>>> I added the clauses for the plaintext, ciphertext and all 128 clauses of
>>> the key. It takes 24 seconds to solve this.
>>> Then I remove the key-clauses and insert only 126 clauses of the key.
>>> This takes 30 seconds to solve.
>>> Then I remove the key-clauses and insert only 116 clauses of the key.
>>> This takes 617 seconds to solve.
>>>
>>> If you assume the formula a*b^n for the time complexity, then you can
>>> find: time(n) = 24 * 1.2^n, where n is the number of missing
>>> key-clauses(/bits).
>>
>> Or maybe you're just taken too few sample points. It should be b>=2.
>>
>>> Unfortunately my favorite SAT-solver is stochastic an therefore the
>>> time(n)-formula is not totally reliable.
>>>
>>> Is this more interesting now ?
>>
>> No.
>
> Hey, don't be so grumpy. It is, too, interesting. Keep at it, TK.

Thanks for your support Peter.
Are you interested in the source code ?
So that you can reproduce my results ?
It's all programmed in D, and my favorite SAT solver is siege_v4 (do you know a better one ?).
I'm currently running the solver for n=24.
I hope I have the result tomorrow.

From: Thorsten Kiefer on
Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:

> Peter Pearson wrote:
>
>> Hey, don't be so grumpy. It is, too, interesting. Keep at it, TK.
>
> No, it's not interesting. Rijndael has be designed such that a simple SAT
> won't help in any way. Once he tries to solve some less trivial cases (way
> more unknown keybits), he'll for sure step upon a growth factor of ~2 per
> keybit.

Do you know Schöning's SAT algorithm ?
It solves SAT instances in (3/4)^n, where n is the number of variables.
It is the world record algorithm.
The clue is that it is a probabilistic algorithm.
An so is siege_v4 (my favorite algorithm).
This means that the growth factor is below 2.

Look here: http://theorie.informatik.uni-ulm.de/Forschung/Poster/3sat.gif

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: help needed