From: david on
I started posting here perhaps in 1999, when these groups got far less
traffic than they do today. I can't identify my first question: I'm not
sure what name I posted under, and DejaNews is long gone. I stuck around
because the exercise of answering questions was educational for me, and the
education was relevant to my job. And, back in the day, it was easy to find
questions that had not already been answered.

Favorite post I ever posted:
http://groups.google.com.au/group/microsoft.public.access.reports/msg/6ec1c942180ef715?hl=en
(it wasn't a good answer, but I did love it.)

Favorite post I ever read:
http://groups.google.com.au/group/microsoft.public.access/msg/1f14015add4a53fe?hl=en
(ok, that's self indulgent, but hey...)

The most important thing I ever learned here was how to script a complex
build:
http://groups.google.com.au/group/microsoft.public.access.modulesdaovba/msg/38905e95569712af?hl=en
but I don't know who I learned it from.

Most memorable character at the time was MitchKa
http://www.trigeminal.com/michka.asp (read the last paragraph of that page).
1999 was already well past the glory days of MSAccess: The Dev Ashish site
http://www.mvps.org/access/ was already up with answers to all the important
questions. Lebans went on to create answers to new questions as they came
up. http://www.lebans.com/ .

Many of the names you know and love still were already active then: some of
them had come across from comp.databases.ms-access and Compuserve when MS
closed it's Compuserve forums in 1996 and opened these groups (Arvin Meyer,
Tony Toews, to name a couple)

(david)

From: flebber on
On May 29, 3:47 pm, "david" <da...(a)nospam.nospam> wrote:
> I started posting here perhaps in 1999, when these groups got far less
> traffic than they do today.  I can't identify my first question: I'm not
> sure what name I posted under, and DejaNews is long gone. I stuck around
> because the exercise of answering questions was educational for me, and the
> education was relevant to my job. And, back in the day, it was easy to find
> questions that had not already been answered.
>
> Favorite post I ever posted:http://groups.google.com.au/group/microsoft.public.access.reports/msg...
> (it wasn't a good answer, but I did love it.)
>
> Favorite post I ever read:http://groups.google.com.au/group/microsoft.public.access/msg/1f14015...
> (ok, that's self indulgent, but hey...)
>
> The most important thing I ever learned here was how to script a complex
> build:http://groups.google.com.au/group/microsoft.public.access.modulesdaov...
> but I don't know who I learned it from.
>
> Most memorable character at the time was MitchKahttp://www.trigeminal.com/michka.asp(read the last paragraph of that page).
> 1999 was already well past the glory days of MSAccess: The Dev Ashish sitehttp://www.mvps.org/access/was already up with answers to all the important
> questions. Lebans went on to create answers to new questions as they came
> up.http://www.lebans.com/.
>
> Many of the names you know and love still were already active then: some of
> them had come across from  comp.databases.ms-access and Compuserve when MS
> closed it's Compuserve forums in 1996 and opened these groups (Arvin Meyer,
> Tony Toews, to name a couple)
>
> (david)
>
> "Wayne-I-M" <Wayn...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > High light of all posts I have read in this form
> > Doug Scott's post about the USA
> >http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.access/browse_thread/...
>
> > and being called a racist by some guy in France
> >http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.access/browse_thread/...
>
> > and then not :-)
> >http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.access/browse_thread/...
>
> > and of course Arron :-)
> > --
> > Wayne
> > Manchester, England.
>
> > "Jerry Whittle" wrote:
>
> >> Hi Wayne,
>
> >> For some reason Microsoft Answers is blocked at work so I won't get there
> >> much. UtterAccess might be my place to be of help to others.
>
> >> Hope to run into you again.
> >> --
> >> Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP
> >> Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder.

I have and do post at utter access forum. However I must say that the
better answers are here. By better I mean more clarity. I guess I will
have to stick to utteraccess if this group truly does close.

Microsoft makes a few strange decisions indeed.
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Wayne-I-M <WayneIM(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have looked at MS Answers but it seems to be all jumbled together, V Strange.
>http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/addbuz/

Yeah, that jumble makes no sense whatsoever. There should be a
number of forums dedicated to Access.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Wayne-I-M <WayneIM(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>MS does have other forums for other programmes so they �may� start another
>one up for Access users, if so, see you there. If not, �so long and thanks
>for all the fish�.

Visit my blog in my sig every once in a while. In a day or two I'll
post the consensus of the alternatives available to us. Which will
include the "jumbled" up Answers forum. And I'll keep it updated
with developments.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Wayne-I-M on
OK then I have added
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
to my links, will check back now and again.

Unless anything else pops up better I think I'll go to