From: "Tanel Tammik" on
Hello,

if there is some webpage content with html tags in database is it possible
to search it without tags?

data : '<div style="">you need some styling!</div>'

when i now search for 'you style' i don't want to get any rows! is it
possible?
when i search 'you styling' i get the row!

Br
Tanel

From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Fri, 2010-06-04 at 14:12 +0300, Tanel Tammik wrote:

> Hello,
>
> if there is some webpage content with html tags in database is it possible
> to search it without tags?
>
> data : '<div style="">you need some styling!</div>'
>
> when i now search for 'you style' i don't want to get any rows! is it
> possible?
> when i search 'you styling' i get the row!
>
> Br
> Tanel

Use a second field in the DB that stores the content without any HTML
tags. That way, you can search and not worry about tags and attribute
values getting in the way.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: "Tanel Tammik" on

"Ashley Sheridan" <ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Fri, 2010-06-04 at 14:12 +0300, Tanel Tammik wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> if there is some webpage content with html tags in database is it
>> possible
>> to search it without tags?
>>
>> data : '<div style="">you need some styling!</div>'
>>
>> when i now search for 'you style' i don't want to get any rows! is it
>> possible?
>> when i search 'you styling' i get the row!
>>
>> Br
>> Tanel
>>

> Use a second field in the DB that stores the content without any HTML
> tags. That way, you can search and not worry about tags and attribute
> values getting in the way.
>
> Thanks,
> Ash
> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

Is this the only way? Couldn't i do it in mysql query? Seems much cleaner...

Br,
Tanel

From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Fri, 2010-06-04 at 14:44 +0300, Tanel Tammik wrote:

> "Ashley Sheridan" <ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote in message
> > On Fri, 2010-06-04 at 14:12 +0300, Tanel Tammik wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> if there is some webpage content with html tags in database is it
> >> possible
> >> to search it without tags?
> >>
> >> data : '<div style="">you need some styling!</div>'
> >>
> >> when i now search for 'you style' i don't want to get any rows! is it
> >> possible?
> >> when i search 'you styling' i get the row!
> >>
> >> Br
> >> Tanel
> >>

> > Use a second field in the DB that stores the content without any HTML
> > tags. That way, you can search and not worry about tags and attribute
> > values getting in the way.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ash
> > http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk
> >

> Is this the only way? Couldn't i do it in mysql query? Seems much cleaner...
>
> Br,
> Tanel

You could try and do it in MySQL with a regex to filter out the HTML
tags. The regex would be real complex though, and prone to failure if
the HTML wasn't perfectly formed. And it would be a *lot* slower than
searching a plain text field. I think it's far cleaner to use a second
field like that.

From: "Tanel Tammik" on

> On Fri, 2010-06-04 at 14:44 +0300, Tanel Tammik wrote:
>
>> "Ashley Sheridan" <ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote in message

>> > Use a second field in the DB that stores the content without any HTML
>> > tags. That way, you can search and not worry about tags and attribute
>> > values getting in the way.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Ash
>> > http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk
>> >

>> Is this the only way? Couldn't i do it in mysql query? Seems much
>> cleaner...
>>
>> Br,
>> Tanel
>>

> You could try and do it in MySQL with a regex to filter out the HTML
> tags. The regex would be real complex though, and prone to failure if
> the HTML wasn't perfectly formed. And it would be a *lot* slower than
> searching a plain text field. I think it's far cleaner to use a second
> field like that.
>
> Thanks,
> Ash
> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

OK! then i should use preg_replace before making the serch entry for DB
storage? What would be the regular expression for that? Basically i need to
get rid everything between the html tags with tags included?

Br
Tanel