From: "Gary" on
I am trying to get an update command to work in PHP. I am able to update
records going directly to phpmyadmin command line. I have even let it
produce the php code to insert, but have not been able to get it to work.

I have it stripped down to one command hoping to get it to work then
replicate entire forms for clients to use direct.I get no error codes, I
only get my message "It did not enter into DB";

Anyone see where I am going wrong?

Gary

<head>
<title>Untitled Document</title>
</head>

<form action="<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>" method="post">
test<input name="test" type="text" />
<input name="submit" type="submit" value="submit" />
</form>

<?php

$batchconnetion = mysql_connect(host, 'un', 'pw', 'db')//sanatized for board
or die('Error connecting with MySQL Database');

$test=$_POST['test'];

//$sql="update contact set type = \'$test\' where item_id = \'164\'"; //this
is the code created by phpmyadmin

$sql = "INSERT INTO contact comments, VALUES = $test WHERE contact_id =
33";

mysql_query($sql,$batchconnetion);

$result = mysql_query($sql,$batchconnetion);

if($result == true) {
echo "Successfully Inserted Records";
} else {
echo "It did not enter into DB";
}

mysql_close($batchconnetion);

?>

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5171 (20100604) __________

http://www.eset.com

From: "Gary" on

Sorry, just noticed that I had this line in the post. (should not post
before coffee).

> $sql = "INSERT INTO contact comments, VALUES = $test WHERE contact_id =
> 33";

It is supposed to be

$sql = UPDATE contact comments = '$test' WHERE contact_id = '33'

From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Fri, 2010-06-04 at 06:46 -0400, Gary wrote:

> I am trying to get an update command to work in PHP. I am able to update
> records going directly to phpmyadmin command line. I have even let it
> produce the php code to insert, but have not been able to get it to work.
>
> I have it stripped down to one command hoping to get it to work then
> replicate entire forms for clients to use direct.I get no error codes, I
> only get my message "It did not enter into DB";
>
> Anyone see where I am going wrong?
>
> Gary

> <head>
> <title>Untitled Document</title>
> </head>

> <form action="<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>" method="post">
> test<input name="test" type="text" />
> <input name="submit" type="submit" value="submit" />
> </form>
>
> <?php
>

> $batchconnetion = mysql_connect(host, 'un', 'pw', 'db')//sanatized for board
> or die('Error connecting with MySQL Database');
>
> $test=$_POST['test'];
>
> //$sql="update contact set type = \'$test\' where item_id = \'164\'"; //this
> is the code created by phpmyadmin
>
> $sql = "INSERT INTO contact comments, VALUES = $test WHERE contact_id =
> 33";
>
> mysql_query($sql,$batchconnetion);
>
> $result = mysql_query($sql,$batchconnetion);
>
> if($result == true) {
> echo "Successfully Inserted Records";
> } else {
> echo "It did not enter into DB";
> }
>
> mysql_close($batchconnetion);
>
> ?>

> __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5171 (20100604) __________

> http://www.eset.com

Your problem is the way you're trying to connect to the DB:

$batchconnetion = mysql_connect(host, 'un', 'pw', 'db')//sanatized for
board
or die('Error connecting with MySQL Database');

The 4th argument to this function isn't a database name, it's a boolean
value for whether PHP should create a new link or reuse the old one. You
have to use the mysql_select_db() function to select the database to use
on that connection in order for your queries to run the way you have
them.

There does seem to be a bit of an inconsistency with the way you're
using quotation marks on your query strings as well. Your first
commented out query is escaping the single quotes within a double quoted
string (which isn't necessary), you've omitted the single quotes on your
insert line, and then on your amended email you've omitted the double
quotes. If this is your actual code and not a mistake made when copying
it into an email, then it would also be a second reason why things
aren't working as expected even once you get PHP to connect properly.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: "Gary" on

"Ashley Sheridan" <ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote in message
> [...]
> value for whether PHP should create a new link or reuse the old one. You
> have to use the mysql_select_db() function to select the database to use
> on that connection in order for your queries to run the way you have
> them.
>
> There does seem to be a bit of an inconsistency with the way you're
> using quotation marks on your query strings as well. Your first
> commented out query is escaping the single quotes within a double quoted
> string (which isn't necessary), you've omitted the single quotes on your
> insert line, and then on your amended email you've omitted the double
> quotes. If this is your actual code and not a mistake made when copying
> it into an email, then it would also be a second reason why things
> aren't working as expected even once you get PHP to connect properly.

Ashley

Thank you for your quick reply.

The $batchconnection works fine in numerous other files (the insert files)
and is a c/p from one of those files. The db noted in my post was just to
specify that the name of the database at this point, I thought it was a
standard practice. I will try your suggestion.

I will admit that I dont have the full grasp of the quotes, single or
double. Typically in a mysql command I start with a ", however if I get a
script that is not working, I will try to resolve the issue with switching
up the singles with the doubles as well and adding parenthsis.

The mistake in the copying the code was I was trying to see if the insert
command would work in place of the update.....it did not..

Aside from that, do you see a problem with my update commands?

Thanks for your help.

gary