From: Eddy on
Hi,

as you all can see this post is about my future filesserver, which will
only run in "ondemand"-Mode to supply a few clients.

What I need are a few "field reports" if this hardware configuration will
work as I expect.
I like the software-raid system of linux so I want to use it as a base
for a raid level 5.
Requerements:
-raid should be encrypted (e.g. cipher: aes-xts-plain)
-server should be energy-efficient

Possible hardware configuration:

AMD Athlon II X2 240e, 2x 2.80GHz
Elitegroup A785GM-M
2GB DDR3 Ram
4*1.5TB (SATA2)

I know from my own experience that, if you choose the right/optimal chunk-
size it should be possible to get a througput of 1.5x of the normal
bitrate (using SATA2 it should be near 450MBit/s) for write operations
and 2,5x for read operations

Does anybody have such a system an can report, whether my expectations
will meet or not? I'm also open for improvments...

p.s. Sorry for my poor english...

Regards
Eddy
From: David W. Hodgins on
On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 22:31:47 -0500, Eddy <news-mail(a)arcor.de> wrote:

> -raid should be encrypted (e.g. cipher: aes-xts-plain)

I have no experience with raid, however, I do have some experience
with encryption. As per
http://www.ody.ca/~dwhodgins/Luks-Howto.html
and referenced from that,
http://clemens.endorphin.org/nmihde/nmihde-A4-os.pdf
I'd suggest using "--cipher aes-xts-benbi" rather then plain.

Regards, Dave Hodgins