Prev: Gmail
Next: Massaman Curry
From: Rob on
NBN ignores Australia's love for wireless: Coalition
Article from: AAP

September 14, 2009 02:26pm

FIGURES showing a dramatic increase in demand for wireless broadband
severely undermined the Rudd Government's case for the national
broadband network, the Coalition said.

The Opposition has been highly critical of the $43 billion broadband
plan, including that there is little evidence supporting the project's
commercial viability.

Opposition communications spokesman Nick Minchin said data released
today by the Australian Bureau of Statistics cast further doubt over the
plan.

Mobile wireless broadband subscriber numbers have increased by 51 per
cent in the past six months, taking the mobile wireless market share
from 20 per cent to 27 per cent, the ABS said.

Between December 2008 and June this year, mobile wireless subscriptions
went from 1.3 million to two million.

"This is just the latest data to confirm the overwhelming growth in
wireless broadband services, a trend that appears to be either
misunderstood by the Rudd Government or ignored," Senator Minchin said.

The ABS data further supported the case for a full cost-benefit analysis
to be conducted before the Government moved ahead with the broadband
plan, he said.
From: Marts on
Rob wrote...

> Mobile wireless broadband subscriber numbers have increased by 51 per
> cent in the past six months, taking the mobile wireless market share
> from 20 per cent to 27 per cent, the ABS said.

Wait until the so called GFC catches up with Oz. Or, when banks start ramping up
interest rates. When people's disposable income is eaten into with loan payment
increases, such discretionary spending such as browsing your Facebook account on
your iPhone will become a luxury rather than something that's considered
"essential" now by those who rely heavily on mobile broadband for internet
services.

Or not...

--
Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.

Pages: 1
Prev: Gmail
Next: Massaman Curry