From: Darin on
Currently, our software is VB.NET, VS 2005, forced to 32bit compile, and
.NET 2.0.

We seem to have random issues on a Windows Server 2008 64bit machine
that when printing a huge number of print jobs (like 1000+) the message
is: menu.exe has stopped working.

The event log doesn't have any error messages in it. When we look at the
task manager, it shows dw20.exe running. I know we can edit the registry
and remove the application error reporting so that doesn't come up. What
i don't understand is there is nothing in the event log that shows any
error messages.

Does anything think there might be an issue with .NET 2.0 on a windows
server 2008 64bit machine? We are thinking of upgrading our application
to 3.0 or 3.5, but i don't know if that will help, hurt, or make no
difference.

Darin

From: Andrew Morton on
Darin wrote:
> Currently, our software is VB.NET, VS 2005, forced to 32bit compile,
> and .NET 2.0.
>
> We seem to have random issues on a Windows Server 2008 64bit machine
> that when printing a huge number of print jobs (like 1000+) the
> message is: menu.exe has stopped working.

Where does that message appear?

> The event log doesn't have any error messages in it. When we look at
> the task manager, it shows dw20.exe running. I know we can edit the
> registry and remove the application error reporting so that doesn't
> come up. What i don't understand is there is nothing in the event log
> that shows any error messages.

I suspect what you're referring to is the Windows message that appears when
the UI of a program is non-responsive. To stop the error from appearing, you
could create the print jobs in a BackgroundWorker (or simply on another
thread is .NET 2.0 doesn't have that).

Andrew